Strobist Blog

Printable View

• 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
    Alison
    Strobist Blog
    Now THIS is something I want to learn BIG TIME!
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02...-strobist.html
  • 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
    jorgemonkey
    Re: Strobist Blog
    I've been reading off the site for a year or so now, and I have learned sooooo much from him.
  • 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM
    mjs1973
    I have heard lots of good things about the strobist on some of the photography podcasts I listen too, but have never checked out the site.
  • 11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
    dhyravy
    We have a VERY active discussion group over there. Remember the Strobist moto:
    "More Brain, Less Gear, Better Light!"
  • 11-27-2007, 02:33 PM
    Alison
    Needle in a haystack springs to mind!
    http://www.studioflash.co.uk/TXRX02.asp

I've heard pocket wizards are good. Would this item be any good?
    Would it be everything I need?
    ebay item
  • 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
    SmartWombat
    It looks designed for studio, the connectors are for studio flash not for cheap flashguns.
    So no it's not all you need.

Fine if you're the only one about, and you can get/make up the connectors to your flashes.
    If you're going the strobist way, then cheap flashes and PW is the route.

I have seen cheap alternatives at shows like Focus on Imaging at the NEC.
    But they look cheap and badly constructed. I couldn't even build a radio transmitter/receiver from parts for the price they sell the cheap ones.
  • 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM
    dhyravy
    Pocket Wizards are definitely the standard for RF triggers, but they are VERY pricey at $185 each. (and you'll need 2 at a minimum) I use the 16 channel ebay triggers with very good results for most everything I do. I have 2 transmitters and 4 receivers although one of the receivers is a bit flaky. All in all, at the price they are great. Certainly fine for learning off camera lighting with small flashes. The 16 channel has a 1/4" phono plug on the cable which I replaced with a 3.5mm female jack and they also have a PC port on the back. Any flash that has a sync port can be used with them with the proper cable. If your flash doesn't have a sync port you can get a hotshoe adapter that the flash can mount to and it will have a connection for a sync cable.
  • 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM
    cyberlord
    If you're not in any hurry to get a radio slave, radiopoppers.com will be coming out with their line of radios next year.

I'm holding off for the $25 version. Supposed to be good quality and meets US FED guidelines unlike the cheap china slaves. I have an amateur radio license and I don't want to lose it.

My Pentax wireless works great indoors at close range so the radiopoppers will be for outdoors and longer ranges.
  • 12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
    photophorous
    This is a great website. I got the same stand and umbrella he recommends to use with my SB-600 and D70s, although I haven't used it as much as I'd like. I just use a cable to connect them. With digital, figuring out the correct exposure is a piece of cake. You don't NEED radio triggers, but they certainly are nice.

edit: I should add that I use the Nikon creative lighting wireless thing sometimes, but I find that the preflashes often make people blink. So, I just go manual if I'm shooting a portrait.

Paul
  • 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
    dhyravy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just thought I'd post an example of what can be done with small flashes. This was done using 2 Sunpak 383s fired through white umbrellas and one Quantaray 370 in the back with a 3/4 CTO gel.