Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Strobe Test

Strobe Test

I am really struggling to learn how to use these speedlites. One problem is that they are coy about having a low battery. The indications are arcane and seemingly undocumented.

I only have two, so one is on camera all the time. I did this moving the slave three times. Once to the right front. Once a bit above. Once behind for a bright back light. All three were diffused.

Got blown highlights on the one from the right. On the face maybe that is ok, but on the clothing it is unfortunate, a big white featureless slash...

Re: Strobe Test

I am using two 580EXll speedlites and a vivitar 285HV. I really have not had any battery issues with any of them especially the 580's. I have shot 2-300 photos with a speedlite thru a softbox at about 1/2- 1/4 power with no battery changes.

Anyway, what sort of diffuser are you using for this?
    When you say you did this moving the slave three times, was this a long exposure with three flash bursts that you moved, or was it three photographs with slave in different positions and the images blended together?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

This will cure your battery problems for sure, I know several pros that use them for event stuff and love them because not only is the capacity bigger, it cuts the recycle time by like 75%. If the price is too steep, you might try this one.

If you're shooting in RAW knock this down to -1/2 EV and you'll be fine, the detail isn't really lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    This will cure your battery problems for sure, I know several pros that use them for event stuff and love them because not only is the capacity bigger, it cuts the recycle time by like 75%. If the price is too steep, you might try this one.

If you're shooting in RAW knock this down to -1/2 EV and you'll be fine, the detail isn't really lost.
    That pack is excellent from Canon, Jet. I have one that I use for events, but I have never had to use it for my portraits or location work yet.
    I think in daq case, with the still lifes and indoor portraits that he's doing mainly that money would be better spent on some light modifiers and stands, etc.
    Your right, i really don't think there is a blow out issue here. It is a white statue with little detail anyway, and it does not appear to be lost too much.

gary

It is one 580 ex 2 with three separate shots blended in photoshop. The diffuser is one of those plastic opteka things that slips over the flash. I am int he process of getting light stands, reflectors, etc.

I am probably shooting with these guys on full power which is overkill, of course, but I am still figuring out how to use them at all. I spent a good part of several hours just to get the slave flash firing again. I kept thinking the settings were wrong. I don't believe they were. the master just did not have the power to run the wireless. When I replaced the batteries it worked. The only indication that there was anything wrong was that the red flash ready light would not light.

Now I believe the LCD screen flashes when the unit does not have the power to fire the flash. I guess that is good enough, but I wish it just had a battery level indicator.

I do have a lot to learn before I even get the simple mechanics of these things. First thing I guess is to figure out how to dial the power down.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    It is one 580 ex 2 with three separate shots blended in photoshop. The diffuser is one of those plastic opteka things that slips over the flash. I am int he process of getting light stands, reflectors, etc.

I am probably shooting with these guys on full power which is overkill, of course, but I am still figuring out how to use them at all. I spent a good part of several hours just to get the slave flash firing again. I kept thinking the settings were wrong. I don't believe they were. the master just did not have the power to run the wireless. When I replaced the batteries it worked. The only indication that there was anything wrong was that the red flash ready light would not light.

Now I believe the LCD screen flashes when the unit does not have the power to fire the flash. I guess that is good enough, but I wish it just had a battery level indicator.

I do have a lot to learn before I even get the simple mechanics of these things. First thing I guess is to figure out how to dial the power down.
    Well, the IR signal was always hit or miss for me. Excellent capabilities when its working but i could not rely on it much.
    Try using manual mode, as you can see your results immediately. Just hit the mode button on the flash and set it to M. then reduce power down to about 1/32 and play from there. Yep, those platsic diffuser caps are good for shooting people at events and such, but you want something a lot softer and more controlled for the fine art type stuff your doing.
    A stand and bounce umbrella will help soften and even the light a lot. In the meantime, if your going to be doing multiple exposures and blending, try bouncing the flash off a different wall in each shot. Avoid that flash from hitting anything directly.

gary

Thread Information