Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

the steampunk, strobist

This is actually a retake of a shot I had posted a while back in the critique forum. I did it over as I wanted the background to have a bit more luminance as oppsed to being very dark, and also wanted to included this crazy ring as a prop :thumbsup:

For anyone interested in using small portable strobes such as Canon speedlites,Vivitar 285HV, Nikon SB800,900 etc.

This was shot with an approx. 5x7 ft background of a greenish linen purchased from a fabric store for about 9.00. Clamped on to two spring load poles, much like the Bogen Autopoles, but from HarborFreight and only 10.00 each!
    I will also be using a Flex out backdrop (that is basically a muslin attached to a wire frame that unfolds to a 5x7 ft surface and easily folds back down into a 27" diameter circle to be store in a soft pouch Gray on one side, black on the other) in the future

A 580EXll speedlite shooting into a photoflex 16x22" softbox on subject(me) left and front about 1 ft above head level aiming downward slightly. Another 580EXll shooting into a flashpoint snoot on subjects left and behind about 7ft up and aiming at back of hair.
    A Vivitar 285HV on a lightstand off in the back on subjects right about 7 ft up aiming towards back of hair and skimming right side of subject face.

The Canon programmable remote release is a great tool for helping get these self portraits because i can set the initial time delay to first shot, the time intervals in between shots as well as the overall number of shots and more.

Took a while of back and forth and re adjusting light positions to finall get something that worked as I wanted. I was a little too close to the background and was getting a bit more illumination on it than I desired and so some of that was toned down a bit later in PP.
    All the speedlites are triggered with the Cybersync triggers from Paul C. Buff. (alien Bees maker)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the steampunk, strobist-steampunk.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: the steampunk, strobist

Great shot and explanation, Gary. One question: who does your hair???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Awesome. What were the power settings/ratios?

Great example of how light alters a shot Gary. I have no clue about lighting but I can tell that for some reason I lean towards the first shot....why? no clue but the other one has more visual punch for my eyes. That being said...awesome shot Gary.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Great shot and explanation, Gary. One question: who does your hair???
    You know, Steve, I get that question alot these days as I'm merely walking down the street. I turn to them. . . .remove my goggles. . .and tell them. . . "Its natural"

gary

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Great example of how light alters a shot Gary. I have no clue about lighting but I can tell that for some reason I lean towards the first shot....why? no clue but the other one has more visual punch for my eyes. That being said...awesome shot Gary.
    Thanks for your thoughts Rob. Actuaklly, there are sme things about the first that i like better, but overall this has more of what I wanted in it.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Awesome. What were the power settings/ratios?
    I wish I were to write all that stuff down. This is actually from somewhere in the middle of the shoot and at that point my setting were about iso125, 9.0-11.0 shutter speed of about 160.
    Main strobe into softbox was set at about 1/4 power, maybe +3EV higher. the box was about 2 ft away from me.
    The rear 580EX into the snoot was at about 1/4 power and maybe 5 ft away. Makes a really neat pop sound into that cone shaped snoot!
    The Vivitar 285HV was at 1/4 power, which is one step up from its lowest power setting of 1/16. I had it at 1/16 for the early takes but I had to reposition the light to get more directly behind me and that required it to be further back as well because of the limitations of my working space. So, I had to up it to 1/4 power.
    I just ordered the roscoe gel filter set. The Vivitar has a opening thatwill allow the gels to slip right in and cover the light. should be fun to experiment with some colors on the bg.

gary

Again, very cool shot. I am playing with these same flashes and building up my light shaping tool collection. I really like the textures in the face. The light needs to be really good for that all to work out.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    The light needs to be really good for that all to work out...
    As does the hair...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information