Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

new-b needing help setting up studio using Cannon G3

hi, a newbie here.

I'm a layout editor for our university yearbook.
    but i am forced to do another task in our organization, which is to take pictures for the delayed pictorial.

there are only about 10 graduates that I will be taking. since they did not subscribe early. they did not catch the graduation pictorial schedule.

though I am familiar with the G3's manual settings. this is my first time to take a studio shot.

now, my problem is I don't know how to take a good shot. and know what is a good shot in a first place. and with only the equipment we have for our org.

we only have Cannon G3 4-mega pixel & one Strobo N-300 studio light.

can anyone give me tips, Do's and Dont's with the camera & light studio that I'm using?

and also help me where should i place the light. with the right distance. and estimating for a good exposure. and using the light set effectively inside an ordinary room where there are florescent lights?
    Last edited by rion; 10-15-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Re: new-b needing help setting up studio using Cannon G3

Frankly, I would tell them "tough luck". If they skipped the 'pro shoot', for whatever reason, that's 'their problem' - and makes them more likely to skip out on your effort to include them as well, unfortunately. (Speaking as one who spent two years working the High School yearbook, with a Canon AE-1, some years ago - and had a similar experience trying to 'include' a few people who missed out on the professional portrait shoot sessions.)

For those who do actually show up for this, I would get away from that fluorescent lighting and try to shoot them under good natural light - like, by a tree in a park, for example. Whatever you come up with, is going to be notably different from the 'staged pro shoot' that they missed, no matter how you approach it - so your best take is to go for a 'good quality snapshot', cause that's what you're going to get.

In my High School class (1981), we had eight people who missed the 'pro session', four of whom actually showed up for my re-shoot effort - outdoors by a tree on campus, using natural light, and utilizing depth of field to totally obliterate the background. I was pleasantly surprised, once the results were in, with over $400 in print orders from that little session - and was still getting comments, at our 20 year Reunion a few years ago, how the shots looked 'so much nicer' than the professional monkey-suit shots that were the staple of the senior yearbook.

yes, that's the price they pay for beeing late. but i need to do what i can

this is how our light set looks like:

taking it outside is not an option Clemmie. my eic wants to make use of the newly acquired 2nd hand light set given to us by the printers.

also i don't have the cables to sync the light set, i use a flash gun to trigger it, causing more light (maybe unwanted or needed..) just don't know...

i know I can't learn it overnight, it may take me years but tips would be very much appreciated.

thanks
    Last edited by rion; 10-15-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Nice light - especially if you have the reflector set with it.

And beyond my expertise, as I've never used one like it. I see that one of the moderators has moved this over to the Studio & Lighting forum, though - so some expert advice should be soon forthcoming. Good Luck!

Thread Information