Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

See Asylum Steve!

I ain't yeller!

Prompted by Asylum Steve's taunts over in blogland, I've come over here with my first test shots with new lights. I've never done a lot of commercial studio work, so it's a learning process. Basically, I've got two softlights, and I'm trying to get the positioning right and the lighting nice and even for headshots. Here are two images. In the color shot, I'm thinking the glare/extreme highlights on face are actually caused by an issue Steve pointed out... that my bg light was spilling over onto my subject. Yes? So I should bring him forward more? Angle the light differently? I'm a bit confused with black background, because I want the background to be black (not like in this shot, gr) but the subject separated. (I picked the shots based on lighting, not necessarily the best shot *of him*.)

I'm happier with the B&W, but Steve also pointed out I need bigger catchlights in the eyes (most likely for both.) I *do* have a small reflector, but I didn't see how it was doing anything, so I tossed it aside.

Anyway - I'm learning here, and any help would be welcome. Just be gentle! Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: See Asylum Steve!

I'm no expert on lighting peoples. But I'm looking at these and thinking I might light from the side and maybe even a bit from the back, with a reflector in the front. That will keep the light off your black backdrop so it can be black. And it will also kill the glare on your subject's face.

What do I win?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

How's eternal gratitude?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Hey Megan, not too shabby for the first try. How big are the soft boxes you are using? How far off the background was your subject?

Take a look at some of the ideas on the following link, they might prove pretty helpful for playing around. I did a couple of one light shots called playin around with a black background a little further down if you want to check out a black BG look. I usually use a hair light, but didn't have time.

Have fun with your new toys.
    http://www.photoflexlightingschool.c...oor/index.html
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

2 x 500 Watt Photoflood Softbox Light - 24x36"
    2 x ECT Lamp - 500 watts/120 volts
    He was approx. 4 feet from the background. Thanks for the link, I'm going to look at it now.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I ain't yeller! Prompted by Asylum Steve's taunts over in blogland...
    Wow, I should learn to use reverse psychology more often. Sure your name isn't Marty McFly???

You really don't have anything to worry about. I think the pic you posted in your blog was good. I like the color one here as well.

Of course, you friend appears very photogenic, and many times that'll disguise the shortcomings of your lighting. He looks good in both shots, but yes, the lighting could be improved.

But we're talking about tweaking, not a huge mess that needs to be fixed.

It's a pain, but you should document your setups and light/camera settings as much as possible, so you can establish a clear connection between what you try and how it turns out.

And the thing you may discover is you'll be spending a lot of time modifying your lights: keeping bits of light off of bits of your subject...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Exposure was F/5.6 at 1/100/sec. for the color, f 5.0 @ 1/100 of a sec for B&W.
    Color shot - light to my right at 45 degree angle to subject, light to my left directly on his side. B&W, main light was behind me, and I moved him closer to me so that the bg light was behind him and aimed towards the white wall (it's a newly painted wall, it will do until I get white seamless... It's hard trying to find a mini van taxi to take me and a 109" roll of paper home to Astoria from B&H.) I suppose I *should* write or draw this all down, because my photographic memory has been getting some fix stains in old age.
    Thanks again for the responses... they are helpful.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

If I lived that close to B&H I'd be broke, booted out of the house and looking for a job there. (They are hiring by the way according to m account rep)
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not my fantasy job...

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    If I lived that close to B&H I'd be...looking for a job there.
    Yeah, I understand the sentiment (and humor) in what you're saying. Truth is, I would probably hate working at a place like that...:cryin:

There's two schools of thought. One says if you have to have a "day" job (of course, we're going on the assumption your dream is to be a photographer), get one as close to what you dream of doing as possible. The other says get one completely different, to keep your true dream fresh in your mind.

I see both sides. When I was starting out, I considered either a job in a lab or a camera store. But I quickly realized that lots of the people that worked there were frustrated shooters themselves, often insecure and many times acting like know-it-alls with an attitude to make up for not being able to make a living with their cameras.

I decided I didn't want to be one of those "guys", and it would have bothered me big time to see all the pros coming and going, doing what I dreamed of.

So I took the other route. Not completely different, but working retail. First in a record store (records being those things before CDs), then in a book store. Two of my other loves.

As I got more experience, I gradually worked myself down the retail ladder, eventually switching to part-time, then finally quiting altogether... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information