• 03-28-2004, 02:31 PM
    BethanyDM
    Question about buying my first studio lights?
    Hey, I'm new to the forum. I actually have only been taking pictures for about a year now, but am very interested in continuing to learn. I only have a Nikon N55, which is a good starter camera, I think, but am hoping to move up to a better camera in the near future after I have mastered the one I have. I have only worked with natural outside light up until now. I have an SB22 flash with a stroba frame that I have been using, but really is not providing the lighting that I need indoors.

I would like to start experimenting with portrait photography and have no idea where to start. I was looking at the lighting and studio equipment in the B&H catalog, but was a little overwelmed.

I am on a very VERY limited budget. With this in mind, what is a good light system to start with? I have read some of the postings on here and noticed that someone said that it's possible to get a good portrait with only two or even one good light. (and maybe a reflector.)

If so, which lights should I get, and where is a good place to get them from? I just need some place to start.

Thanks so much.

BETHANY DAWN
  • 03-29-2004, 09:48 PM
    Cowgirl
    I know how it feels to be on a budget. I bought the Alien Bees B800 Studio light for my first 'big' light. Its been great. I now have 2 B800's and am trying to get my Vivitar 285hv set up as my hairlight. I'd start with Alien Bees. You can visit their website and see that they also have a beginner's package.

I also have a Photoflex 5n1 reflector, with the Photoflex litedisc stand and arm. I've used it somewhat. For me, a reflector is a bit troublesome for weddings, but for portraits it works just great.

You can start with one light/umbrella, and a big reflector, such as a large standing piece of white foamcore. A windowlight would help too. - Now that's cheap!

Have fun!

Kathy
  • 07-06-2004, 04:03 PM
    FREELANCE2004
    Jtl Makes A Heck Of A Setup For Under 300.00.i Bought The 320 Kit.
    2 160 Ws Lights,2 Stands ,2 Umbrellas,sync Cable For 239.00
  • 07-06-2004, 04:10 PM
    FREELANCE2004
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyDM
    Hey, I'm new to the forum. I actually have only been taking pictures for about a year now, but am very interested in continuing to learn. I only have a Nikon N55, which is a good starter camera, I think, but am hoping to move up to a better camera in the near future after I have mastered the one I have. I have only worked with natural outside light up until now. I have an SB22 flash with a stroba frame that I have been using, but really is not providing the lighting that I need indoors.

I would like to start experimenting with portrait photography and have no idea where to start. I was looking at the lighting and studio equipment in the B&H catalog, but was a little overwelmed.

I am on a very VERY limited budget. With this in mind, what is a good light system to start with? I have read some of the postings on here and noticed that someone said that it's possible to get a good portrait with only two or even one good light. (and maybe a reflector.)

If so, which lights should I get, and where is a good place to get them from? I just need some place to start.

Thanks so much.

BETHANY DAWN

BETHANY, THE JTL LIGHTS WERE BOUGHT FROM STEVE KAISER ON EBAY,THEY WORK GREAT,I DO UES THESE LIGHTS SEMI PROFESSIONALLY.USED MOSTLY FOR MODELING PORTFOLIOS,AND SENIOR PORTRAITS.VERY NICE WORK CAN BE TURNED OUT SO EASILY.JUST PUT THE LIGHTS AS CLOSE TO YOUR SUBJECT AS YOU CAN WITHOUT THEM BEING IN THE OICTURE.IT IS BY FAR THE DIFFERANCE IN NIGHT AND DAY IN PHOTOGRAPHY.YOU WILL BE A PRO OVERNIGHT
  • 07-06-2004, 06:35 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Freelance,

Please don't type in all caps, it makes it very hard to read the text and is totally unneccessary on these boards.

All caps is considered to be shouting and is fround upon.