Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question about mounting soft box.

I bought one of these:

Lastolite LL LS2490 3 x 3 Feet Large EzyBox with Universal Adapter Ring and Inner Diffuser.

But I don't know how to mount it on a stand for use with a flash. Does anyone have any idea how to do it? It has a big metal ring but no obvious way to put it on a light stand. Do I need some sort of adapter?

Re: Question about mounting soft box.

I found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A17MC6HOH9AVE6

but it is awfully expensive.

Daq, the 3x3 ft softbox with universal ring is meant to mount to the front of a studio strobe such as an AlienBee or so. The ring mounts right to the strobe and the strobe head mounts onto a stand.
    the hardware from Westcott that you linked to should be the solution, but damn that is expensive. . .

Daq, a 3x3 ft softbox is too large really for the light of a speedlite. I have a Photoflex softbox approx 24x32" and find it is about the largest I would ever go with a speedlite flash.

Here is a link to a 24x24" softbox from Cowboystudios on amazon.

I have the 20x20 model. It unfolds quickly and expands into shape with the wire frames that are sewn into each panel. All you do is secure the exterior diffuser panel to the front via velcro. The lightstand mounting hardware that comes with it is very good. It even has a ball head tht swivels the box into any angle. the hardware mounts right on to your light stand.
    One drawback, there is no internal diffuser, so, what I do is place a Stofen Omni bounce cap over the speedlite to diffuse and spread the light around inside the box. Simple and effective. . .inexpensive as well.

You might want to check out this super inexpensive and very good boom stand from them

I bought one just for use with the light weight speedlight system and its perfect. well built and super cheap. Counter weight included that slides back and forth to adjust as needed.

the photoflex softboxes are very good, but you have to purchase their universal mounting ring and also a speedlite bracket from them separately.
    I would go with the Cowboy studio boxes right now. Inexpensive, quick set up and perfect for the hotshoe flashes. i'll be using the 20x20 i have from them for fill and even some other applications like hair light and rim light, etc. Looking to get one more from them, since they are so inexpensive and come complete ready to go.

BTW, I looked up the Lastolite 3x3ft softbox you bought on amazon and the photo of it shown looks like the wrong one. It shows a hotshoe flash mounted to the back of it, but that picture should be for their 24x24" box that comes complete with mounting hardware for the hotshoe flash set-up. the 3x3ft model description does not sound like it is intended for hotshoe flash. Shouldn't be, too big. You can always keep it for when you get an AlienBee or something.
    Here is the link to their 24x24" box intended for speedlite/hotshoe flash
    Still, it looks to be expensive and it actually looks exactly the same as the cowboy studios model I mentioned and linked to here.
    Probably the same manufacturer being sold through different distributers. Looking at the photos and description of each, it appears the Cowboy studios 24x24" box is the exact same one as the Lastolite 24x24 box.
    Lastolite-$220.00 Cowboy Studios- $49.00 &*%$##
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for the info gary. I found a cheaper bracket adapter that should work for this box. I kind of don't want to ship it back. Is there any reason the 3x3 WONT work with the flash. Is is so big the light just gets too diffused or something?

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    Thanks for the info gary. I found a cheaper bracket adapter that should work for this box. I kind of don't want to ship it back. Is there any reason the 3x3 WONT work with the flash. Is is so big the light just gets too diffused or something?
    Basically, yes. not sure what speedlite your using, but most any hotshoe flash out there would have a tough time lighting this box.
    However, I know you do lots of indoor shooting with single subjects like your self portraits in small studio type setting so you should be able to get use from it.
    To help it work for you, you can shoot at 400 iso and open up to 5.6 or so to help the flash but the more you open up the less dof and sharpness you will have as well as the iso being higher and you also risk more ambient lighting coming into the shot. But I've know you to use some very odd settings so perhaps this will not deter you
    My 580EXll is set to about 1/4 -1/2 power at a camera setting of 160iso and approx f8-11 and with the box usually fairly close to the subject it does prety well. I would not want to have to up my iso or open up my aperture more than that. could go to full power on the strobe but then i cut down my recycle time and kill batteries much quicker. thats with a 24x32 box. A 36x36 box is going to factor in greatly with those settings losing much light.
    Try it out, but for 49.00 you can't go wrong with a 24x24 from CBS.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks. Looks like i will ship it back and get a smaller one.

Thread Information