Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Cool Photo exposure compensation

Ok...I've been trying to fix this problem for a while and need some serious expertise. I have a home studio, 3 light system (2 soft boxes/strobe - monolight, 110W) and 1 strobe (40W); I use an umbrella with the 40w strobe; I use 3 backdrops (charcoal gray, black, white) and my room has white walls...I shoot with a Nikon D60 with camera settings on manual at 125/f8,9,10...my lens is Nikon 70-200 2.8 with the lens locked at 85mm...here's my proble...no matter what camera settings I use, lighting adjustment (closer, farther away, etc) my pics have a blue tent...if I increase my f/stop and decrease my shutter speed and then gets worst...on the reverse the blue tint is lessened but doesn't go away... when I check my histogram it's either slightly left or right and at one point at f/10 is was centered but had a light blue tint...CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON with the blue tint... I would very much appreciate your help...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo exposure compensation-studio1.jpg  

Re: Photo exposure compensation

What white balance setting do you use?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Poker...what's up and many thanks for the reply...actually my white balance settings was on auto but to be honest I never checked because was always told the the SLR's have auto white balance...but you may have hit the mark on the button...I will manually white balance...I don't know why this didn't register...I will repost once completed...thanks..

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you shoot in raw format it is easy to change the white balance in photoshop.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poker
    What white balance setting do you use?
    My thoughts exactly. Color balance is not affected much by exposure, especially in the studio, except that over and under exposure will strengthen or lessen an existing color cast. IOW, the blue cast is not being caused by your exposure.

Yeah, we need more info before we can start playing detective. In any case, there are so many ways to correct or change color balance in photoshop, it isn't funny, so I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

There are way more important things to concentrate on when shooting studio work...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I agree there are more things to worry about in the studio other than white balance...
    Last edited by allnu06; 03-29-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Thread Information