Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Canon Digital Rebel 300D with B800 monolight

is anyone here using B800 monolight from Aliensbees with a Canon Digital rebel 300D having problems when using over 1/250 f/stop ? When I use 1/1000 for example, the flash seem not fast enought for the f/stop. 1/250 and under is working fine.

If anyone can help me, I'll appreciate :-)

Thank you

You're trying to go beyond the max sync speed of the camera (1/200). Basically, at 1/1000 there isn't enough time for the camera to tell the flash to fire and then for the flash to do its thing before the shutter closes again.

Is there a solution for that? or it's the limit of the canon rebel digital?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_
    Is there a solution for that? or it's the limit of the canon rebel digital?
    It's a limit of the camera. Check-out the manual and you'll se some specs on this. That's about the fastest you'll see without going to a very high-end camera. But this shouldn't cause you any problems. Why do you need to shoot w/ studio lights at 1/1000?

BigBen nailed it. The flash fires MUCH faster than the shutter speed, it fires and finishes before the shutter covers the entire frame. You're most likely seeing only part of a frame exposed, and that would be why.

I also wonder why you would ever need such high speeds in a studio. The flash will provide 100% of the light, and therefore the very short duration of the flash will stop any motion that might be present.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

You should think about...

...going in the OTHER direction, experimenting with slow shutter speeds and perhaps complimenting your flash with some hot lights.

The guys gave you a good explanation for your "problem". Higher end DLSRs with dedicated flashes can often flash sync at much higher shutter speeds because the unit emits multple flashes to cover the entire frame. The tradeoff is less overall flash output...

I too, am curious why you would want or need a sync speed over 1/250. Are you trying to capture that bullet going through the apple???

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_
    is anyone here using B800 monolight from Aliensbees with a Canon Digital rebel 300D having problems when using over 1/250 f/stop ? When I use 1/1000 for example, the flash seem not fast enought for the f/stop. 1/250 and under is working fine.

If anyone can help me, I'll appreciate :-)

Thank you
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

I too, am curious why you would want or need a sync speed over 1/250. Are you trying to capture that bullet going through the apple???
    Actually, you don't need the high shutter speed to capture the bullet through the apple. 1/250 is plenty. What you really need is an ultra fast flash duration.

I know wildlife photographers who take pics of hummingbirds. With a typical flash unit they still get a little motion blur in the wings. With an ultra high speed strobe you get no motion. It almost looks wierd as you never see their wings still in our reality. They do these with cameras that only snyc to 1/250.

Mike

Thread Information