Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

New Guy Really confuised

O.k. quick story. My wife loves taking pictures, has been for years and years. Recently got her a new DSLR. She wants to start a side business. Here is the question. I've been doing some research on lighting but am getting confused and overwhelmed with the info out there. For one I dont know what is best continuous lighting or strobe lighting. If continuous, umbrella or soft box. Then the next questions where to get this stuff. I've looked all over the web and found stuff everyone says to stay away from. Found Alien bee's but seems like they sell nothing but flash. Want to get something that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg since we are just starting off but dont want something that is going to break the moment you touch it. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: New Guy Really confuised

Welcome to the site and this forum, shrekfx. Not to sound negative, but unfortunately, what you're asking is beyond the scope of a simple online forum like this. It's too all-encompassing. Kinda like asking in a sports forum, "How do I become a pro athlete?", and expecting a simple, quick answer.

We could write a book about how to get into this business and what gear to use. In fact, that's my point: there ARE books about this. Many many of them. The first thing you two should do is browse Amazon.com or a similar site and look through some the available titles. Most, if not all should have reader reviews, which should be a big help.

Now, I don't to leave you completely empty-handed. So, my advice would be to figure out exactly the kind of photography business your wife wants to pursue ("loves taking pictures" is a little vague). Then, find pros that shoot that same style, and take a long hard look at how they create their images. I'd also buy some inexpensive hot lights (such as home improvement store work lights) and just start playing with them to begin to learn lighting. Continuous lights are much better for this as you can see the effect as you go along (besides being more expensive, flash is more of a guessing game).

Finally, look at local photo courses, either community colleges or Vo-tech centers, or maybe something online. It's a good investment.

Hope that helps, and gives you at least a starting point. Let us know if you have any more questions...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: New Guy Really confuised

Thanks. Thats kinda what I was looking for. She wants to get into portrait, weddings, and stuff like that. But the answer on continuous lights is what I was looking for.. Thank you again.

Thread Information