• 10-30-2013, 06:59 AM
    CLKunst
    I know what I did wrong, I trusted B-H Camera's Used Dept.
    So furious! After ordering a reconditioned Norman light pack with a built in PW receiver I discovered the internal transceiver unit was not working. [See previous thread: What am I doing wrong?] I returned it to B-H and asked them to have it repaired on July 20. They told me that they were returning it to Norman for repair and call back in 6 weeks. So 6 weeks go by and I follow up and the guy sounds totally shifty and surprised to hear from me and say 'Uh, it's not ready yet. Norman says it will be another 6 weeks.

For weeks I tried to contact customer service to find out the status of this unit being repeatedly put off. Repeatedly asking for help and supervisors got me dumped into the phone system and a general operator who would say things like, Oh the guy you need is out today. Oh the guy you need left early. Oh the guy you need is on the phone he'll call you back in 5 minutes. What a crock! talk about a boys network.

Not once was I independently contacted by B-H to follow up on my RMA, they only just confirmed receipt of the light 3 days ago!! I believe the light was never sent to Norman and never even checked into their system until I started screaming at anyone who answered the phone.

Today, after months of waiting, and calling, and follow up, and WTF, I'm getting a full refund. I feel lied to and cheated mostly out of time I could have spent buying something that works from a place that might have treated me with more courtesy. I had always heard that B-H was a reputable company. Now I'm convinced, at least in regard to their scummy used department, that reputation is nothing but bad. Order something from there and better hope it works because if it doesn't you'll just get the run around not what you were shopping for.
  • 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Re: I know what I did wrong, I trusted B-H Camera's Used Dept.
    Yeah, that bites. Unfortunately, we all have some of these horror stories. You certainly are justified ranting about this experience, and taking your business elsewhere, but try to keep in mind that what happened to you is simply a snapshot (if you'll excuse the analogy) of the company as a whole.

I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H, including buying used camera bodies and equipment. I've never had to deal with defective merchandise, but have returned items and gotten prompt refunds. BTW, I'm glad to hear you at least got your money back.

IMO, what you need to do is give them detailed feedback. Normally I would suggest writing a review on the web site, but I don't see how you'd be able to review used equipment, as the listing will be gone once it's purchased. But you should tell them with a clear head and without name-calling exactly what happened and how you were treated. You obviously had to deal with some bad eggs, but trust me, someone somewhere there really cares and will be upset that this happened to you.

Contacting them may not bring you any sense of justice or closure, but it will help those after you further down the line, and if B&H see a pattern of customer mistreatment, they will notice.

Good luck getting back on track with a new light!
  • 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM
    Brandondelano
    Hi there new to the forum
  • 01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
    ksbryan0
    Hey, I know it is water under the bridge at this point, but Henry Posner works for B&H and he is active in photography forums to provide customer service. Between him and Helen Oster with Adorama, they do a great job and can be a real asset for situations like you experienced. You can look him up on the Feedback forum.
  • 01-07-2014, 05:26 AM
    adalinaabella
    Sounds good.

I actually don't have much idea about the this. It's great to know how to do adjustment and all.

Thanks!
    talkingprint
  • 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM
    zoelav1221
    A good reason not to buy used.
  • 02-03-2014, 05:11 AM
    HelenOster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    ....Between him and Helen Oster with Adorama, they do a great job and can be a real asset...

Thanks! :D
  • 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoelav1221 View Post
    A good reason not to buy used.

Actually I got just what I wanted from a retiring photog. in CA getting out of the business and saved myself $200 on Ebay. SO used equipment is GOOD as long as it is represented truthfully at the point of sale.

The issue I had with B-H which I'm trying to underline is 'back up what you're selling when you're selling it used'. B-H didn't do a full system test of a piece they sold me at a 'premium for used' price that blew up in my face and then lied that they were fixing it and then ultimatley wouldn't fix what they sold me, but they did take it back and refund me so I could finally get what I needed in the end. I just wish they hadn't wasted so much of my time before someone decided to acknowledge the truth. 3 months is too long to deal with one store to negotiate a fair repair and/or return!!