Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Flash slave at a conference?

I've been ask to shoot conference here at work which include some VIPs speaking at a typical podium. I was considering bringing another flash slave mounted on a stand. I would have a Canon 580ex on my camera with could trigger my 430ex remotely.

I still need to experiment but is this over kill? I want to get a look that's not so typical from the normal on camera flash appearance.

I got the idea from watching a wedding photographer drag a second flash around. I never saw him use it though.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: Flash slave at a conference?

Do you have an idea of what you want the lighting to look like?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Do you have an idea of what you want the lighting to look like?
    It will be in the evening so I'll be in tungsten lit hall from over head and pretty dark.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Sounds like a good plan. Being that your shooting with the 5Dmk2 you can easily adjust your ratios from the rear panel on camera, which is very convenient so you can tweak setting easily on the fly.
    How far away will the 430EX be from your 580EXll? Is the room larger with high ceilings? I would only be concerned about the communication of the IR signal. I always found it hit and miss depending on the situation and so I ultimately went with cybersync wireless trippers.
    You might want to get your settings to eliminate most ambient lighting and get everything with the strobes, so that you don't run into light temperature conflicts.
    Or, put some warming gels over the strobes and let the ambient light blend in, with your white balance setting on Tungsten.
    If your light stand will not be in the way, I would go for it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information