Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

flash for the 10d

So I've decided that's going to be my next big purchase. The two that I was looking at were the 550 ex and the 420 ex. Is the difference between the two that big? Also, while I was looking at B&H, they also have a 550 ez, is that much different from the ex?

Still have lots of reading to do before I pick one, but thought I'd get some imput first.

thanks

adina

550EX or 420EX

The 550EZ is an older model flash system. 500EX and 420EX are the standards. I use both models. Here are a couple things.

550EX is more powerful (like that's not obvious). It can be used as a master and a slave because it has a built in transmitter. 420EX can only be used as a slave. Flash compensation on 550EX can be done on flash and on camera where 420EX can only be done from camera.

One last note when using Canon flashes. The E-TTL will set flash strength based on where the focus point is at time of shutter release not at time of metering. This has big implications if you focus, then recompose and shoot. Because now the focus point may be on another object that is darker or lighter; this will overexpose or underexpose flash. This is why some people feel Canon flashes are inconsistent. But really it is a user error.

To properly use E-TTL in difficult lighting. Select the focus point. press shutter release button half-way to activate focus point. Now press the * (asterisk) button near your thumb. This will prefire a low level flash to get flash exposure. Now recompose and take picture. It'll be on almost all the time.

Dennis (who posts too long)
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adina, I know the 550EX costs more but the added features and the ability to control slaves directly from the 550EX (if you get other 550EX or 420Ex flashes as slaves), makes it worth the investment. You can have the 550EX on camera or a hotshoe cable, control other flashes strategically placed around subject and control their output from the 550EX on the camera. I think that is a major benefit in itself it you are looking to the future.

Thanks guys

I am leaning towards the 420 at this point. I don't anticipate using multiple flashes in the near future. And if I do, I can always add something higher.

I'm thinking with a bracket I should be very happy with this one. I've also seen those plastic cap diffuser things, does anyone know how well those work? Is there a better option, that's still small enough to be easily portable?

Thanks much

adina

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I am leaning towards the 420 at this point. I don't anticipate using multiple flashes in the near future. And if I do, I can always add something higher.

I'm thinking with a bracket I should be very happy with this one. I've also seen those plastic cap diffuser things, does anyone know how well those work? Is there a better option, that's still small enough to be easily portable?

Thanks much

adina
    The plastic cup does little to softent he light, but it does increase spread. I suggest you check out the videos here, great advice regarding flashes and lighting in general, and they do answer your specific question in great detail. Check out the Lumiquest bouncer, that seems to do a much nicer job at actually softening the light.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Just to clarify...

"550EX is more powerful (like that's not obvious). It can be used as a master and a slave because it has a built in transmitter. 420EX can only be used as a slave...

Obviously, the 420EX is a stand alone flash unit, and CAN be used as either a master or a slave flash throught the use of photoelectric slaves.

What Dennis means is that the 420EX can be TRIGGERED by, but cannot trigger other flashes using the Canon transmitter technology...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information