Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Can I make this camera trip an outboard flash?

Greetings,

My first post here, so if I'm covering ground already beaten to death, let me know and I'll go away.

I have a Panasonic DVD Palmcorder. It's a VDR 250, a combination video and still. I really like the camera but it has some shortcomings. What I'm looking for is a workaround so that I can use a studio flash. The problem is, it does not have a hot shoe, and no other way I can find to trip the flash.

There is one possibility I hope will work, but I need you to tell me one way or the other.
    The camera will accept an SD card. I'm wondering if there is a generic SD card that has an output connector. The flash I have is a Rokunar Studio Pro 100, which has an input for a cable trip wire.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'm SOL. I can use the camera without the flash down to very low light levels so I can take the pictures. I'd just rather have the option of bouncing light off the walls and ceilings (and reflectors) if its at all possible.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Wes N

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Can I make this camera trip an outboard flash?

I think you'll be SOL in trying to get the camcorder to fire the flash.

You could find a camera that allows you manual control over the settings and has a built in flash. Then if your current studio flash has an optical slave, you could use the camera flash to fire the studio strobe.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: Can I make this camera trip an outboard flash?

Scott,
    Yeah, was afraid of that. I used a card once on my laptop to get it connected to the Internet. The card inserted into the side of the computer. It had the broadband connector on it. I'll keep looking for an SD card for another day or two, then give it up as 'ain't gonna happen' Thanks.

Thread Information