Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

D70 And Alien Bee's

I have a new D70 and SB 600 flash but IM looking for more lighting power. I like the looks and the price of the Alien Bee packages. My question is, has anyone on here tried this setup? IM looking at one B800 in a softbox and One B400 with umbrellia. One of the things IM also concerned about the all the voltage talk I have been reading about and if I would be safe using the Bee's? The info says that they fire at 6 volts, but is this correct? Any suggestions would be greatly appreacated. .

Other than my questions I would like to say that I love this site and I check it everyday to see what I can learn from it.
    Thanks Rich

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: D70 And Alien Bee's

I just called and spoke with the Alien Bee people this week with the same question. The Nikon AS15 sync adapter will work just fine with the entire alien Bee product line. I will be ordering a pair of the B1600's this week with the 8 ft stands and a pair of the 48" umbrellas. Not a bad kit for under a grand delivered to your door. I'm going with the bigger units because I have to shoot some large groups mixed in with the usual head shots.

Good Luck.

Re: D70 And Alien Bee's

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I just called and spoke with the Alien Bee people this week with the same question. The Nikon AS15 sync adapter will work just fine with the entire alien Bee product line. I will be ordering a pair of the B1600's this week with the 8 ft stands and a pair of the 48" umbrellas. Not a bad kit for under a grand delivered to your door. I'm going with the bigger units because I have to shoot some large groups mixed in with the usual head shots.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the information MJS

Thread Information