Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    There can be only one!

Background Scale

Hi Everyone,

I am about to embark on a photo project involving trolls. Part of the plan is to develop back drops and such. My trolls are 3 and 5 inches tall. How do I figure out what size back drop to use? Any tips would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
    In life you can be right or you can be happy, choose wisely. To see more of my photos, check out my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/jef09

Re: Background Scale

Probably the easiest way is to actually scale it. The average human is between 5' & 6' tall so for the 5" troll it would be about 1"=1' and the three inch would be about 1/2" = 1' so a standard studio backdrop wouldn't be more than 20" and if you wanted to paint some kind of scenery backdrop you just scale real life things down in the same manner (like the inside of a room is 8' tall so the scenery would be 8" or 4" depending on which troll is standing in front of it)

Thread Information