Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: New Toy for me!

New Toy for me!

I have been messing with various methods of light modification for off camera flash trying to avoid stands and big items. My favorite tools have been my 2 gorillapods and a Rogue Flash Bender. Lately I have been looking for soft window light effects. So, I have been bouncing a flash off of a 36" reflector. This works pretty good. But it still is not as defused as I would like. And I am still holding a reflector and flash by hand or having someone hold it So that had me thinking of a softbox. I went to Pictureline in SLC to check out the Lastolite EZ box and ended up going another direction entirely. I got a HUGE 60" convertible umbrella. It was an easy choice because of the $45 dollar price tag. I got a stand and flash bracket and everything for $160. If I want a softbox later, I now at least have the stand I needed anyway.

I have to say I am impressed with this setup. It took me all of a few minutes to setup. It should be very versatile for me. If I need more light, I will just add another flash or 2 or 3 or 4. And the light? It is soft and wonderful.

I played around doing some lens calibrations last night. I grabbed the girl and put her in front of this massive contraption to try it on a person. Here is what I got with my newly calibrated 50mm 1.8.

Here is the setup in the kitchen.

Re: New Toy for me!

Congrats on your new toy! I've been using a shoot through and reflector umbrella for a while and they are definitely excellent tools. The one thing to watch out for with them (that took me a bit to fully understand) is spillover, as in, the light that bounces around your umbrella. This is especially an issue in smaller rooms or areas with white walls and ceilings.

Spillover can be a good thing too, sometimes it is nice when it throws a huge amount of light all over the place. But, it can make it a bit more difficult to control shadows.

And damn 60" is huge!

Yeah the light all over is sort of what I was after. I will have to see what I think with more testing. You will have to post up some shots with your new SB setup too. Did you get the Lastolite or another pop out one?

Tonight I did another practice round with my new Umbrella. I set these little suckers up and shot them with my, not used enough, 105 macro. I love that lens. Every time I use it, it makes me smile. I also practiced the tethered capture feature in LR. It works really smooth. First I tried just applying custom white balance. After that I tried exposure, sharpening and the whole deal. Very cool, and very efficient for time. I can see why this is a valuable tool for studio settings. I think I will make it a regular tool in my arsenal.

For these shots I used the giant umbrella to the left as the main light this was setup with a single flash. To add a little fill on the right I used a 12" silver reflector disk.

Nice stuff, love the bike/penny shot with the rear wheel just fading out of focus. Is this a Paul C. Buff parabolic umbrella?

I think it is Photoflex. But it has a Pictureline Logo on it.

I did a few more this morning while I was still set up.

#7 This thing is my lighting nemesis. This time not so bad. I am not in love with it though. It would be a piece of cake on a black BG.

#8 Something a little bigger

#9 Something a lot smaller

#10 Really Small

#11 This thing is tiny. It is what my friend calls a wire midge. Tied up on a #20 hook.

Well dang zero, looks lilke you've got a lot more practice in with your umbrella than I have with my SB. I've got some catching up to do, eh.

you take those flies to the green, I'm guessing. Lucky dog, I miss Utah.

Thread Information