Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    pbr

buying advice: pocket wizard vs. canon st-e2

I've been searching among the older posts on here and I've picked up some good information on radio slaves. However, I have yet to find a head to head comparison of pocket wizard radio slave set up vs. Canon's speedlite transmitter st-e2.

The pocket wizard seems to be the most popular setup (could also be attributed to the fact it's not limited to one camera system) but seems to require a lot more hardware and set up time. It sounds like the range is better, but that is the main advantage I'm finding. It also sounds like results are a bit more inconsistant.

I'm shooting with a Canon 20D, and will primarily use it for freestyle mountain bike photos at night and at skateparks.

I feel that I have a good understanding of light, I just want the best tool for the job that will deliver the most consistant results. Cost is an issue, but only if the performance between the two products is similar. (I'm willing to save/ kill the card if I must)

Here's an example of the stuff I've been shooting
    http://www.ihatebikes.net/

however, once I lose the light, I have to pack it up. And forget about shooting in the woods.

thanks in advance!
    Jason

Re: buying advice: pocket wizard vs. canon st-e2

Hi Jason,

I've been using the Pocket Wizards for some time, and I know PhotoJohn uses them for his mountain biking photos.

I prefer the PW system because it's based on radio waves and do not need a direct line of sight with the master flash. You can hide the flash to fill in background as the main light catches the skateboarder or cyclist.

BH offers a Master and a Slave for a decent price, and you can use them with Canon flashes too when you get the proper attachement.

It's a great product.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pbr
    The pocket wizard seems to be the most popular setup (could also be attributed to the fact it's not limited to one camera system) but seems to require a lot more hardware and set up time...
    I use the PW system too, and I'm curious to why you would think this...

The core system is very basic and IMO simple to setup and use. Slap a transmit unit on your camera, a receive unit on your main flash, set 'em both to the same channel, and you're in business...

BTW, another great thing about the PW is the remote module that fits in several popular Sekonic light meters, allowing you to remotely trigger your flashes and take readings away from the camera position...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

pbr

I was under the impression that a second, (or third) slave flash required a second receive transmitter. Is this true?
    Not being restricted to line of site set up is a pretty big sell.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pbr
    I was under the impression that a second, (or third) slave flash required a second receive transmitter. Is this true?
    Not being restricted to line of site set up is a pretty big sell.
    Well, there are several ways you can trigger multiple lights. If none of your flash units have slave features, then yes, you'd need a PW unit for each light, but that's a very expensive way to go.

Most stand-alone flash units nowdays have built in slaves, or you can just get small, attachable slave units. Then only your main flash needs the PW receiver, and its firing triggers any additional lights...

Now, yes, I'm going on the assumption that your slave flashes will be in a sight line to your main flash, so its firing can trigger them.

Having EACH light completely out of the line of sight of each of the other lights in a setup would be a pretty odd situation, and in that case you WOULD need multiple PW units for each light.

Make sense???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

pbr

thanks, that helps a lot.

Thread Information