Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Wattage of light bulbs?

Hello,

I need some info on wattage of studio lights. I will be photographing my artwork in a 14
    X 24 ft. room with the 45 degree technique. I have decided to go with continuous
    lighting. Because of the size of my work my camera will need not be any further than 7 ft.
    from the artwork at maximum.

QUESTIONS:
    1. If I go with a Florescent light kit, how many watts should the light bulbs be?

2. If I go with the Tungsten light kit, how many watts should the lights be?

If I go with the Tungsten I don’t want the wattage to be so great that it would harm my
    artwork or be a fire hazard.

Thanks, Dave Zippi

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Wattage of light bulbs?

Well, these questions sound like ground we've already covered in one of your other posts, but I guess you are asking to be more specific. As I mentioned before, those most important thing is both your lights be the same. You can compensate for low-wattage lights by using a longer exposure time.

That being said, I would go with the highest wattage "cool" lights you can afford. The would most likely be fluorescent. While I've never had a problem with hot lights actually damaging artwork, it does make the process much less comfortable...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Wattage of light bulbs?

Thanks! That's good advice.

Thread Information