basic lighting

Printable View

• 04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
    ultraprince
    basic lighting
    I am a victim of ebay lights. =) I dont' mind em, they gave me a chance to see what i need. my plan is getting a really good monolight. now what i have read in the reviews, are the alienbees are good. I want something i won't have to upgrade (not add to) now is this a light that i won't need to "replace" later because of limitations of controls?
    I plan on just doing portraits right now, but would also like to be pretty versitle with the equipment if i go one to different types of photography. just want to know some opinions. thanks.
    eric.
  • 04-06-2004, 08:10 AM
    ultraprince
    this is the other one i was thinking about.

SP-Systems Excalibur 3200 - 320 Watt/Second Monolight

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=129711&is=REG

will i need this type over the alien bees? I'm not erally looking for an opinion on the alien bees, just asking if it will ever be thrown to the side like my ebay lights for something better. I want somehting that will suit all my needs and the only improvement will be to add other lights, not replacing it with another light.
    thanks
    eric.
  • 04-06-2004, 08:43 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraprince
    this is the other one i was thinking about.

SP-Systems Excalibur 3200 - 320 Watt/Second Monolight

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=129711&is=REG

will i need this type over the alien bees? I'm not erally looking for an opinion on the alien bees, just asking if it will ever be thrown to the side like my ebay lights for something better. I want somehting that will suit all my needs and the only improvement will be to add other lights, not replacing it with another light.
    thanks
    eric.

Alien Bees will last you just fine. As long as it gives you control, is reliable, and tosses out enough light, there is no need to "upgrade." These aren't computers, once you find some you like, nothing better will come along. Unless of course you all of a sudden get the need to light sports arenas, in which case you would need something that recycles faster, but I digress.

Alien Bees are fine, but get at least the 800, the 400 might not put out enough power for all situations.
  • 04-06-2004, 10:57 AM
    ultraprince
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Alien Bees will last you just fine. As long as it gives you control, is reliable, and tosses out enough light, there is no need to "upgrade." These aren't computers, once you find some you like, nothing better will come along. Unless of course you all of a sudden get the need to light sports arenas, in which case you would need something that recycles faster, but I digress.

Alien Bees are fine, but get at least the 800, the 400 might not put out enough power for all situations.

thanks for the input. i like the computer analogy as well. makes sence. thank you again.
    eric
  • 04-06-2004, 03:26 PM
    Peter_AUS
    The one from B&H has a sync voltage of 9V is that going to be OK with your camera. The rest seem pretty standard for a flash head.
  • 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM
    ultraprince
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    The one from B&H has a sync voltage of 9V is that going to be OK with your camera. The rest seem pretty standard for a flash head.

well, I have a Sony DSC-F717. how can i find out? so will the alien bee be better for me?
  • 04-08-2004, 12:56 AM
    Peter_AUS
    Read the manual it should tell you what the sync voltage maximum should be. On my Canon 10D I think it is 6V and the Alien Bees work with 10D's very well.

I'm not sure what the Sony DSC-F717 Sync Voltage is.