Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Backdrop Glare

Backdrop Glare

I had a vinyl backdrop made and when trying to photograph, I keep getting major glares. I have tried moving further back without success. I am only using 1 strobe with a softbox as my backdrop is only a 4x8 backdrop. I have the subject standing approx 3 foot in front of the backdrop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Backdrop Glare

Hey. I guess the obvious question is: why would you want to use a vinyl bg? Regular, non-reflective fabric is cheap. As is a roll of seamless paper.

Ok, so assuming you're set on the vinyl, the only way to avoid glare is to prevent your flash from reaching it. This means blocking spill (light falling outside of your subject area) by making what's called a "light panel" (also known as a "flag"). You can use a really large piece of foamcore (or two smaller pieces connected) or cardboard. Stand the panel between the light source and the bg (but obviously not in the camera frame).

Now, this will mean your bg is not lit, which presents another problem. So, if you really want or need illumination on the bg, try positioning a large reflector to the side of the set that will catch part of the flash and direct it back towards the bg. If it's positioned carefully, you shouldn't get glare on the bg.

Yep, this studio stuff can be tricky when you use materials that do not cooperate. Hope this helps...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Backdrop Glare

Thanks for you reply. I have the vinyl because I had an image printed specially for the shoot of a basketball with the gym flooring. Didn't think u could order it affordably in a different material. Ill try ur suggestions

Thread Information