Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    GB1

Anyone used a Lastolite Illuminated Backdrop?

Lastolite illuminated backdrops - any impressions on them if you have used them?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Anyone used a Lastolite Illuminated Backdrop?

Haven't used them, but at those prices, I can't imagine buying something as specialized as that, especially when it doesn't include the flash. That money would buy an awful lot of lighting gear, and hi-key is so easy to set up using relatively cheap equipment. Just MO...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

GB1

Steve - I tend to agree that this thing is overpriced I'm wondering how well it works though, independent of the price issue. Some on-line discussions suggest that it does its thing pretty well, though doesn't fold up and transport so easily (though one reviewer said it just takes some getting used to).

On creating high key setups: are there multiple ways to do it? There's studios one can rent here that have white backdrops, etc, but scheduling studio time is less flexible than owning your own. Setting up a portable system seems very much a pain in the neck - I have a backdrop w/ stands setup that could conceivably be used for that (if you have the white paper deal), but the whole stand thing is oh so fragile and tipsy! I hate using it actually, and haven't done a backdrop shoot w/ it in about 3 years.

Wish I could find a used Lastolite for a decent price...

G

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    On creating high key setups: are there multiple ways to do it? Setting up a portable system seems very much a pain in the neck - I have a backdrop w/ stands setup that could conceivably be used for that (if you have the white paper deal), but the whole stand thing is oh so fragile and tipsy!
    Well, yeah, if you look at it that way, what you're paying for is convenience. I'm used to schlepping studio gear on location and creating complete lighting setups, so when push comes to shove, I don't mind the work and I'd rather save the money.

But here's the thing: High Key lighting is simply a light, bright background in a scene that shows very little overall contrast. There are no large black or dark areas. So, yeah, there are a handful of ways to shoot it.

Assuming you want one continuous background, the important thing is whether you need to have your subject's feet in the frame or not. That is why photogs go to all the trouble of using an expensive studio with a complete white cyc. So you cannot see a seam between the wall and the floor. You can also get that effect with white seamless paper.

Either way, simply throw a bunch of light at the bg (umbrella or softbox on each side) and overexpose it a bit. Then light your subject with relatively flat bright light, or use reflectors near the camera position to bounce light from the bg back onto them.

Now, if you do NOT mind cropping the subject at 3/4, you can just place a large softbox behind the subject aimed straight at the camera (no backdrop paper needed!). Just be careful not to overexpose it so much that it flares up in the lens. Again, light your subject from the front as well, or use reflectors.

You can also use a white backdrop, and use two side lit umbrellas or boxes that light both the bg and subject at the same time. Or you can set up light panels (large white translucent fabric panels) behind your subject and light them from behind.

IMO any of these traditional ways of High-Key lighting are better than spending all that money for a specialty item that I would only use occasionally...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought the smaller sized Lastolite HiLite.

I am complete newbie when it comes to lighting. I have a very small space to work in so I needed something small that could be put away easily. I am an eBay Powerseller (selling clothing/shoes/handbags) and needed some kind of background that would work with both clothing items laid flat as well as items on a mannequin. I researched for months what I would need to get the 'invisible background' (sorry I don't know proper terms) that I wanted to achieve. And I must say that I am still really confused. However, I finally made some purchases.

When I say my workspace is small I mean I literally have one wall of space that a background about 4 feet wide by 7 feet tall could be placed against or a floor space of about 5x7' to work in. I considered using a seamless paper mounted to the wall. But it seemed the amount of actual lighting that I would need to purchase would be far more then with the HiLite and I just don't have the floor space for those lights to go. Because I already had a Canon 430EX II flash that I figured could light up the small HiLite just fine, the only lighting purchased in addition was a Flashpoint II 620M Monolight with Umbrella & Stand (this kit from Adorama )

I just got it so I am testing it out. It is already way better then what I was using before (a large piece of vinyl and my old crappy Sony P&S camera). But, it seems to be a little too bright for clothing items placed right on top of it. Everything looks like it is glowing and a little too washed out. If I were more experienced with lighting and my camera settings I am sure I could correct this but I don't know what to do to fix it. My Monolight is on a stand about 4 feet away from the object, and as high in the air as it can go in my little office. It almost seems like it needs to be further away but I don't have that option. The power is on the absolute lowest setting on the Monolight. I tried half power on the first shot and it washed out everything. It was a completely white picture.

I haven't tried setting it up against a wall yet for mannequin shots. (I do most photos with the clothing item laid flat).

Does anyone have any suggestions of what camera settings (Using a Canon 7D) I need to use or what I might be doing wrong? I suppose I could show some examples of how it is 'too bright'. I could upload some if that would help? Maybe a softbox would have been better to purchase with the light then an umbrella? I really am clueless when it comes to this stuff.

As always, thank you all for any help you can give this newbie.
    ~Amber~

Canon EOS 7D
    Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR VC
    Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Amber, we need much more information here to really help you. First of all, exactly how are the HiLite, your flashes, and your product set up? You're using both flashes, right? Is the HiLite flat on the ground? If so, how are you lighting it? Also, more importantly, what are your camera settings? My first thought is you may simply need to stop your lens down a bit, or even a lot. I can't imagine that your monolight is so powerful that you can't stop your lens enough to get a proper exposure at a low ISO.

So, maybe a description (or better yet diagram) of where everything is and the settings for everything: both lights and camera. Then we can make adjustments!

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Hi Steve. Thank you for your prompt reply. I am using the Canon 430EX II to light the HiLite. And I am using the Flashpoint II 620M to light the object, bouncing the light off the inside of the umbrella. I have no idea if that is what I should be doing or not. I have included some photos of my set up. I have the HiLite propped up at an angle to make it easier to take full length photos of jeans. If I use the HiLite flat on the ground then I basically have to hold my camera out over the object and hope that I get the entire object in the frame. Plus it kills my back.

As you can see, my office is very very small. Hence the reason I needed as few lights/stands as possible.

And some shots of an item. I sell mainly pre-owned designer clothing so I have to take pics of every single thing I sell. They don't need to be perfect, but I am a perfectionist so I do want them as nice as possible. Already, these are for sure looking more professional than 99% of seller's photos of used clothing items on eBay. I am happy with the full length shots but the 'glow' in the closer shots is not to my liking and I do not know how to fix it. Also, on lighter colored items I am having even more problems.

Because I am photographing 100+ items a week, I need it to go quickly. No time for photoshopping/editing.

Here are what my settings were. I basically just kinda adjusted things until the pictures sorta looked ok. But none of these settings make any sense to me and I don't have the knowledge of what each of them do.

~Amber~

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II

GB1

I think the results you obtained are good and that the Lastolite is a success. It's a bit concerning that you can't throttle down that inside strobe any more to get it the way you want it, but the results don't look bad to me. Still considering getting one too!

G

My Site

I completely agree with Greg. It may sound like a cop out, but I think the shots look good as they are. The very slight washed-out effect (hey, a little bluejeans humor there!) certainly wouldn't affect my decision to buy or not.

Being a perfectionist is all well and good, but as Greg mentions, the only way to improve these pics outside of photoshop would be to be able to manually adjust both lights individually. The camera exposure as well...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. I was able to adjust the Speedlite that I have lighting the HiLite down a bit and that has helped a lot. I'll post some more photos soon. I am very happy with them now.

I already want the next size up HiLite, but I just don't have the space for it and the cost is a lot more. I have tried to use this with my mannequin but it is just too small. So instead I am photographing the mannequin up against a grey wall in my office and using the strobe to light it as well as using the HiLite as a giant softbox for more light. I do think I will have to purchase some kind of background to mount against the wall to use with the mannequin. (So much for trying to kill two birds with one stone)

All in all, I highly recommend this as a simple and fast way to achieve this look. It's not cheap but it sure is convenient and easy to use for someone who has no clue what they are doing. :thumbsup:
    ~Amber~

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II

As promised, here are some more shots now that I was able to adjust the level of the Speedlite inside the HiLite. I am very happy with the results now. Quick, easy, no editing. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Laying flat on the HiLite:

With the HiLite behind the object and just a white piece of shelving under the object:

And now less 'glow' on close-up items placed directly on top of the HiLite:

~Amber~

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS
    Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Glad to see it's working out for you, Amber. Photography is often about controlling the elements of your shots, and it's a good feeling when you can predictably change the illumination of your scene, and get the exposure you want...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information