Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Portrait photography with 580EX...

Unless I get a surprise Christmas check or graduation money, getting a studio lighting kit doesn't look like its going to be in the budget for a while. So I will have to do my early portrait work with my external flash unit - a Canon 580 EX.

I know that direct flash isn't the way to go, and that I should bounce it off the ceiling or wall. Is there a particular angle that I should bounce it at? If I am using a diffuser, should I use the Exposure compensation?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Portrait photography with 580EX...

With a diffuser, provide you use the ETTL automatic flash exposure then it'll compensate.
    You won't be able to photograph so far away, but that won't matter indoors.
    You might coneider getting an umbrella to bounce the flash off, too.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Hey masdog,

I recently bought the below bracket and hotshoe cord for the MKII N. The bracket allows you to shoot with parallel or vertical with the flash...works great and it's fairly cheap...$45 I think, but the hotshoe was the expensive part. You can still use your difuser with it. It will get the flash up a bit higher to help avoid redeye and so on.
    It is from Custom Brackets "CB Digital-T" bracket and a Canon Off Shoe Cord 2. This same bracket should work with the 20D and save you getting another if you upgrade to a pro body at some later time.
    You can mount it on the camera on either side as well. It seems well built with thick aluminum brackets and padded handle. It has cork where it mounts to the camera's tripod screwin which will protect it from rubbing on the body or avoid accidental turning in use.
    I hadn't noticed you got a 580EX....I'm observant eh?

JS

fyi, I took these really quick, I know they are lousy but hey it's 5:36am .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait photography with 580EX...-js058540.jpg   Portrait photography with 580EX...-js058542.jpg  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think a flash bracket like JS's has shown would be a good investment for you. There are many dif. models available, so shop around and see what you can find.

As far as what angle to bounce your flash at, well, that's kind of up to geometry. I guess it all depends on where you want the light to hit your subject, the distance between you and your subject, and the distance the light has to travel to and from whatever you're bouncing it off of.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

masdog,

Also consider using your 580EX's catchlight panel, that can do the same as bouncing the light. I tried it with my sisters cat and a shot of the family at the table a few weeks back and it seemed to work nicely. I was just playing with it to see if it worked and how...never tried one before.

JS

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Bracket and hotshoe cord? Umbrella? Definitely not in the budget right now. Graduation money hasn't exactly been very forthcoming yet, and at this moment, I'm technically unemployed.

I'll have to remember to use my catchlight panel more often. Thanks for the advice.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information