Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Need Pro Advice

Need Pro Advice

Hello,

After recently completing a diploma in photography, Ive been thinking of creating my own buisness from home. Im going to apply for NEIS which is a goverment funded program that helps set-up small buisnesses.
    The services im thinking of offering are small product photography, and photo restorations (to start of with).

I just have a question regarding set-up,

I only have a small amount of space in my room for product photography, What is a good affordable lighting set-up ( that is not to big) suitable for products of different surfaces like glass, chrome, plastic,wood etc?.

I was thinking of getting a small softbox and flash and using it 45 degrees for particular subjects,and a light tent lit with flash behind it for soft even lighting for others. But im not entirely sure!

Any advice would be greatly apreaciated,

Sarah Farthing.

http://sarahfarthing.tripod.com/

Re: Need Pro Advice

Hi Sarah,

For product shooting I would start out with an adjustable power pack with about 1200J-2400J and 2-3 heads w/reflectors, a light stand and a boom, a medium soft box (~30x40inches), a set of grids, and some foamcore (white and black). Little things like small makeup mirrors are good too.

Something to hold a backdrop would be nice. But a PVC frame and some clamps can hold fabric or paper drops just fine and are cheep at the hardware store. You could also build frames to hold gobos.

I prefer the pack because they have plenty of power, it's lighter than a monoblock (better when hanging on a boom), and the have less of a problem with overheating because the electronics are in the pack. You can probably find a decent pack and heads used.

I would aslo skip the tent. It's great for do-it-youself for ebay...but otherwise utterly boring.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thread Information