Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Indoor Soccer

If you saw it, you didn't get it. tadrscin's Avatar

Indoor Soccer

I shot some indoor soccer last night at a local rec league. The lighting was abysmal to say the least. At ISO 3200 I had still had to underexpose just to get a decent shutter speed. I started at 1/320 and then tried 1/400 and finally 1/500. The other tough thing was that since this is such a small field, the players were all bunched up most of the time and it was very hard to isolate the players with the ball without getting other players in the shot. Plus most of the backgrounds were pretty bad. These have been run through Noise Ninja, but I tried not to go overboard. C&C appreciated.

Last edited by tadrscin; 10-01-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    Flashes, Radio Poppers, etc.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Re: Indoor Soccer

Having played and attempted to shoot indoor soccer, I definitely feel your pain. Super fast, close action, very, very poor light. Not ideal for shooting. Above, the second shot is definitely the best. The others don't have enough context for me. Technically, though, they look pretty good considering.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

If you saw it, you didn't get it. tadrscin's Avatar

Re: Indoor Soccer

Thanks for the comments. I'm surprised that you think #2 is the best as it has the worst background. I'd vote for #4 myself. These were definitely some very bad conditions to shoot under.
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    Flashes, Radio Poppers, etc.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Thread Information