Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Newbie with a passion

Smile Will the EOS 400D/XTi Make a good Sports camera?

Hi everyone,
    My name is Ericson and I am new here. I am really looking forward to getting into photography! Anyway, my budget is quite tight, and I'm looking for a good DSLR for all around photo's.. But, I would also like it to be good for sports and action shots. I'm into racing and football and wrestling/boxing/fighting all of that, and I want a camera that can keep up with me. Now, I've done quite a bit of research on the XTi..and some crappy point and shoots and I came to the conclusion I do not want a point and shoot, I want a SLR. I almost purchased the Canon powershot S3 IS. Anyway do you guys think that the XTi will hold up for an ameture who wants some action shots? ALso, is it good for your normal everyday shots? Lighting, ease of use, editing etc..? I've messed around with one before and I had a BLAST! Anyway..any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Newbie with a passion

Re: Will the EOS 400D/XTi Make a good Sports camera?

Is this the wrong forum?
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

The one - The only

Wrong forum? Possibly, but I think that it takes time to get responses. One hour on this board may not get you too much ;)

Regarding the XTi, yes it's a great little camera. Before jumping into dSLR land, I suggest you think about what you want to do with your photography, where you want to go, and how much you want to spend.

Photo John, shoots with an XTi. In fact I just saw him at the Sea Otter Classic mountain bike races shooting with an XTi. I guess my answer, as other's opinions may vary, is "Yes" the XTi is a good camera for action/sports/lifestyle/everyday shooting.

The real expense in photography is going to be buying glass (lenses). Just know that camera bodies come and go, but good glass can last a lifetime.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Newbie with a passion

Thank you for your fast response! haha, I know that 1 hour is not long enough, but I was doing nothing for that hour and it felt like an eternity. I have a passion for pictures and taking pictures. I appreciate them. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to edit them though, yet. I'm sure I could work on that though. I'm well aware of the lenses being the real investment, but I want to make sure the body is adequate for my needs as well. Since it is my first camera, I just want to make sure I don't go wrong. I know that the resale value on SLR's are much greater than Point and shoot, so that's a good thing. I'm still a newb so take it easy on me guys ;), but a lot of constructive criticism is welcome!

Where do you guys do most of your shopping? So far the cheapest I've seen the 400D was for around $700 I believe. Anyone hear of cheaper or know where I can find one? Where can you buy "body only"? I'd like to just get the body since I hear the kit lens is crap. Any suggestions on a starter lens? I like to ZOOM! and for action also, any input is appreciated, once again.

-Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Quote Originally Posted by ALaS
    Is this the wrong forum?
    If it's sports photography related it's the right place Respnse time depends on a lot of things, and when dealing with sports shooters the weekends can be tough to get a response as most are out shooting something. During the week evenings are the best time to get a response, although I do most of my work on weeknights and Saturdays. I try to leave Sundays for my other projects . Some members are in other countries too, so responses may be at odd times. Lately I myself don't get on here till late.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! As for the 400D, I don't know what it is spec wise, I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. I imagine it's close to the old 20D and it does OK but it depends on the exact use and situation. It's not something I'd use for indoor sports or where you need to get a lot of continuos exposures.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

The one - The only

For starter lenses you could go wide or telephoto...again your preference. Check out the reviews section for some lenses. My first lens was the 70-200 f2.8 non-IS, but I now also have a 16-35 f2.8 and I really appreciate both lenses.

I would buy the body new from a reputable dealer preferably one in your area should you have problems.

For glass I would look in the used market. Resale on glass is okay, but you're almost guaranteed to save a few bucks (or hundreds of bucks).
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Newbie with a passion

Beautiful Information. Thanks. Anyone know where I should start? Yellow pages? lol
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Beautiful Information. Thanks. Anyone know where I should start? Yellow pages? lol
    For sports the #1 lens is the 70-200 USM IS, it isn't cheap though. It's a great lens though. As for places to start, Adorama or B&H. I haven't bought through B&H but did through Adorama and got exactly what I wanted and ordered with quick delivery.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Newbie with a passion

Is that adorama.com? Whats the site to B&H? Sorry for newb questions.
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Newbie with a passion

I found an interesting one here but I have a few questions about it.
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTIBK.ht...XTi&item_no=56

Is that the kit lens? How far does that zoom? How good is that lens? Should I just save the money and buy body only?
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

I have a Canon 20D and got it with this lens. the 18-55 kit lens will let you take pictures. But it won't zoom enough if you are out doors and isn't fast enough in a low light type setting. For low light you need a fast lens. Should look for a lens with at least F/2.8
    If I were in the market for a new camera, I feel I would choose the XTI. The Canon 30D may have a faster burst rate but I feel everything else would go to the Canon XTI

Newbie Here
    rovowen

Newbie with a passion

Thanks Rovowen.

Another newbie question.. F/2.8 means? I've seen f/1.8 f/2.8 f/3+ etc.. what does this represent? Thanks guys.

How much is the 20D?
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

F/2.8 is the size of the opening inside the lens. This is called the aperture. The larger the opening (smaller f/#) the "faster" the lens. This means that the lens lets in more light, and allows you to use a faster shutter speed. This is where the term "fast" lens comes from.

As far as the 20D goes, this camera has been out of production for a while now. If you're thinking about a 20D or a 30D, you will get a faster burst rate than the XTi, but that's about the only thing you're going to gain. The 20D & 30D will shoot 5 frames per second, the XTi shoots 3 frames per second. Ok, there are a few more options on the 20D & 30D than the XTi, but I don't think they are worth the extra cost.

The XTi uses the exact same auto focus sytem as the 30D, and the sensor and image quality of the XTi is better than the 30D.

Photo John has said it before, the XTi is more camera than most will use. If I were you, I would go with the XTi, and use the $ you save on a good lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

keh.com is the place to go for used equipment. even the BGN equipment is in pretty good shape.

I found an interesting one here but I have a few questions about it.
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTIBK.ht...XTi&item_no=56

Is that the kit lens? How far does that zoom? How good is that lens? Should I just save the money and buy body only?
    this lens would be OK for indoor stuff if you have good lighting or a good flash. You'd still need to prefocus though as the lens is slow and so is the AF in the body (compared to high end units) A 70-200 would improve that a bunch. At f3.5 it would be useable though, less so at f4.0 and above meaning you'd need more light.

For outdoor sports you really need the reach of the 70-200, the 18-55 just won't do unless your right up close to the action.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Newbie with a passion

Alright so the 70-200 is the lense to go. I hope I can snag a used one for cheap. Is this lense bulky or big? I'm going to look it up now.
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Newbie with a passion

So, how is this lens?
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...2009&GBC=&GCC=

OOh! and this one! I thought it would be way more expensive than this!
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...2009&GBC=&GCC=

Oh and for the body which site is more realiable.. I think I should pay a little extra for this warranty?
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTIB.htm...0XTi&item_no=3

vs.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...C=&GCC=&KW=XTi
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Newbie with a passion

Delete this post.
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

The 70-200 USM IS isn't light, but it's built to last and to take the punishment of pro shooters. It is probably the best lens of it's type, and very fast. The ones you have listed in your post are OK for bright sunny days but not indoors unless you have some really good lighting. You can find some used 70-200's on Ebay and other auctions, just make sure you get f2.8 lens not the other, not that the other is a bad lens, but it's the same f stop wise as the kit lens and defeats the purpose of getting a faster lens.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Newbie with a passion

So how much optical zoom is the 70-200 f/2.8? Also, what's the minimum distance the lens can focus? estimate? Will it do for a "walk around lens?"
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

I wouldn't consider the 70-200 f/2.8 a "walk around lens" for everyday use; I suppose it depends on what you're shooting every day. When I head to the Henry Doorly Zoo here in town it definitely is my walk-around lens, but not my first choice if I was going out for general photo shenanigans. It's pretty heavy for a walk-around, and would be the poster child for a monopod if you got the non-IS. I believe the absolute minimum focus distance is 1.4meters. It is an absolutely spectacular lens, my favorite piece of glass to shoot through. Like JS said, it's built to take some punishment.

Newbie with a passion

Shoot, so I should purchase two lenses? One for wlaking around and one for zoomage..is there any lens that is good for both?
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Newbie with a passion

well? :[
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

the 70-200 is my daily lens, in fact it rarely is off the body. I don't think it's heavy at all, but then I am used to it. As for being a poster child for a monopod....no way, it's no where near that heavy! With time it will seem natural, now a 400mm f2,8 is a different story, that one I won't handhold all day again
    As for focusing distance, it's pretty close, 4.9 feet, but it's angle of view is 30 (70mm) - 12 (200mm) Deg. Look through some of my basketball photos from this winter, almost all are with the 70-200. Sometimes I'll take my 70-200 and a cheapo ($74) Canon 50mm f1.8 for games where I know I'll need team pictures. That cheap lens does a pretty darn good job, but it isn't for action as it doesn't focus fast enough. For a couple hiundred more you can get the faster 50mm.
    A single lens to do it all? Well if it's only daylight and you want to drop $1700 0 $2,800 on a lens there is the 28-300 USM IS f3.5-5.6. A great lens but it definately needs a 580EX flash once it starts getting dark. I have used it for everything from baseball to racing at night and it's great with the flash but shooting baseball at night without flash doesn't work too well, and they don't allow flash. It's a bit heavier than 70-200 but not much. Your best bet may be a 28-135 for a secondary lens. Thats what I used to use to use but I got tired of breaking them shooting basketball....I broke three, including a rental

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Newbie with a passion

Thank you so much for that info!
    -Ericson
    -Canon 400D

Thread Information