Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Rodeo, some spray and pray stuff

I have been taking a friend to some rodeos and this time with the D800 and SB900 flash. I hand it to Nikon they certainly are image quality king. I have almost found myself addicted to an EVF though.
    I am much more impressed with the D800 AF system than I was at first. These were with the 70-300mm VR.
    I still haven't really nailed a good technique for such low light action.
    These are at 10159 ISO in spray and pray style. Long range flash tips appreciated.

Silver Hills Rodeo by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Rodeo, some spray and pray stuff

Those look pretty damn great to me, Greg - especially considering the high ISO and what looks like pretty terrible light. I especially like the barrel racer, where you used the blur to your benefit. Sometimes you just can't fight it - you have to use poor conditions for effect. That photo is a great example of doing just that.

By the way - the D800's AF is excellent. It's got the exact same AF system as the D4, which is about as good as it gets. I shot world class pro downhill mountain bike racers with the D4 and got great results. So if you're having issues with the D800 AF, I think you just have to learn to use it better.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks John. The D800 certainly isn't for the novice shooter. As long as I have been doing this it is a big learning curve involved to use it. The menu seems endless compared to what I am use to. I need a good ebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Those look pretty damn great to me, Greg - especially considering the high ISO and what looks like pretty terrible light. I especially like the barrel racer, where you used the blur to your benefit. Sometimes you just can't fight it - you have to use poor conditions for effect. That photo is a great example of doing just that.

By the way - the D800's AF is excellent. It's got the exact same AF system as the D4, which is about as good as it gets. I shot world class pro downhill mountain bike racers with the D4 and got great results. So if you're having issues with the D800 AF, I think you just have to learn to use it better.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Outstanding Greg. I know you were out of your comfort zone, but you sure did respond.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information