Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Sports Camera bag

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a good mountain bike-able camera backpack to carry an SLR (with a grip), a couple of flashes, a water bladder and basic mountain bike tools and snacks. I've been using my Camelback HAWG, but it is slow to get gear in and out of and doesn't have quite enough room -- its close though in size.

I have nice waist bag from Thinktank (with a couple of belt attachments) which holds the gear but doesn't have the water capacity for a two hour ride (with only one water bottle attachment).

The F-Stop bags look good but a too big fro what I'm looking for. Or is there a front mount SLR case that I can mount to my Camelback straps?

Thanks,
    MBB

Re: Sports Camera bag

I like the F-stop Loka a lot. It is pretty streamlined and it is a lot smaller than the Tilopa. It is also very compressible. The thing it does the best is carry a load easily. I haven't ridden my MTB yet but have taken it out on a few rides on my trials motorcycle. It worked out great for it.

Check out the thread we started on the packs.

check out this webpage: www.clikelite.com they have pretty cool bags with hydration and all you are asking for.

I've been using the Loka for skiing and it's a great pack. But it's still huge for carrying on the bike. You might be able to compress it but you'll still be packing a lot of extra weight. I'm with Pete7D - this is a job for Clik Elite. I think you should look at the Click Elite Compact Sport or Probody Sport. They're both designed for hydration and to carry a camera body and a few extras. I think they're perfect for mountain biking with a digital SLR.

I am not a fan of chest bags for mountain biking. I have one of the Lowepro Zoom cases and it can carry an SLR with 70-200mm f/2.8 attached. However, unless the riding is really mellow it gets in the way. You'll discover that on the first technical bit where you have to get off the back of the bike and the camera case hits your seat - that's no good at all.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Those click elite ones are pretty nice too. If I take my camera more than a few times riding this year I might have to grab one of those. They are a UT company too.

Just ordered the Clik Elite Probody Sport. Better be good or you guys are in trouble! ;)

matt

Cool I have the large chest bag and the compact sport.
    Cool bags

I'm also looking into getting a Clik Elite Probody Sport bag for mountain biking.

Has anyone had experience with the Clik Elite bags? If so, how do you like them? Does the bladder fit well and feel comfortable?

I will be carrying a Nikon D800, 24-70mm 2.8, and two speedlights (SB-800s). From the video, it seems like I will be able to carry this amount of equipment, plus my usual tools, tube, pump, food, etc.

Matt, how do you like yours?

Steve

I have a Clik chest pack and I agree it's not that great for MTB. I just use my Deuter hydration pack and put the camera in there but then it's kind of slow to access.
    For sports where I need a sport-specific pack I usually just use the pack for that sport and out the camera stuff in it. The Clik front pack is good for skiing but can still get in the way on really steep stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spotwin View Post
    I'm also looking into getting a Clik Elite Probody Sport bag for mountain biking.

Has anyone had experience with the Clik Elite bags? If so, how do you like them? Does the bladder fit well and feel comfortable?

I will be carrying a Nikon D800, 24-70mm 2.8, and two speedlights (SB-800s). From the video, it seems like I will be able to carry this amount of equipment, plus my usual tools, tube, pump, food, etc.

Matt, how do you like yours?

Steve
    I have a lot of experience with the Clik packs, Steve. For serious mountain bike photos, they're my go-to packs. I think they carry gear and fit the best on the bike. I've got three of them right now - the Contrejour, a purpose-built backcountry ski camera pack; the Compact Sport, and the Venture 35. Lately I've been using the Venture 35 the most. I took it with me on my Whistler trip because it can carry the Nikon D4 or any other pro sports DSLR or camera with a grip. I haven't tried the ProBody Sport but it looks like it could get the job done for you. Is there a place you could check it out in person? My concern is that it may be too small. If you're serious about carrying a lot of camera gear, better to go bigger and not fill the pack up. Maybe check out the Venture 30, The Venture 35 is huge. Even with the D4 and 28-300mm in the camera compartment there's tons of empty space. The Venture 30 would hold what you need for sure and leave you room for more if and when you need it.

There are two things I don't like about the Clik Elite packs. One is the hydration sleeve. It works, but on the Venture 35 it's really a cramped fit with my 70 oz bladder. I think they would do well to redesign the hydration compartment. I also think they overbuild their packs. That's pretty standard for camera bag companies. People think they need that thick fabric, chunky hardware and waterproof zippers. However, you don't really need that stuff and it just adds weight and bulk. Osprey packs are the standard I look to - they have a minimalist, ultralight design aesthetic and their packs work great. Because of Clik's background, I know they can build light stuff and I wish they would. All the serious outdoor photographers I've talked to agree with me on that point.

Still, when I want to carry a bunch of high-end gear on my bike, it's the Clik Elite pack that I reach for. Otherwise, for the past year, my everyday mountain bike pack has been the Lowepro Photo Sport AW. It carries a prosumer DSLR, lens and flash perfectly. The most I carried in it was a 5D Mk III with 17-40mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8 and a flash. To do that I had to put the 70-200mm in the top compartment with my tools and rain gear. But it worked. That load would have been more comfortable in the Clik Venture 35, though.
    Photo-John

John - Thanks for all of the info on the Clik Elite bags and also for the link to the LowePro Photo Sport AW preview. This really helps me narrow down my decision.

How is the hydration sleeve on the Photo Sport AW? Is it much more comfortable than the Clik Elite Probody Sport?

I've looked at the Venture 30 (online) and it seems to be the perfect bag for all of the gear that I would like to carry. But, I know that I'll be slimming down my gear as much as possible since I am still getting back into mountain biking and my fitness level isn't that great at the moment. I'll probably go with a bag like the Photo Sport AW or the Probody Sport first and then get something like the Venture 30 later on.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by spotwin; 08-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.

use wildcraft bags

I ordered the LowePro Photo Sport AW in black, a Joby GP3 Gorillapod SLR for my D800 and two Joby GP2 GorillaPod Hybrids for my remote SB-800s. It's already sounding heavy. For my first couple of mountain bike rides, with this setup, I'm thinking of only bringing one or two prime lens to keep the weight down. Such as the 28mm F1.8 and the 50mm f1.8. They are both light and relatively sharp.

I ordered the LowePro Photo Sport AW in black, a Joby GP3 Gorillapod SLR for my D800 and two Joby GP2 GorillaPod Hybrids for my remote SB-800s. It's already sounding heavy. For my first couple of mountain bike rides, with this setup, I'm thinking of only bringing one or two prime lens to keep the weight down. Such as the 28mm F1.8 and the 50mm f1.8. They are both light and relatively sharp.
    Did you go check it out at the store? In my experience, the Lowepro Photo Sport AW best fits one DSLR with standard zoom and one more lens or flash. Everything else has to go in the main compartment above the padded camera section. What was the main lens you were planning to ride with?
    Photo-John

Nope, I couldn't find the pack locally. I was hoping to ride with a 24-70mm F2.8, but it's a heavy piece of glass. I'm planning to use the extra compartment of the Lowepro Photo Sport AW for the Joby's and the SB800s. I eventually want to have two packs, with the 2nd pack being something like the Venture 30. So I figure if the Lowepro is small, compact and light. I will use it for a minimalist setup when I want to travel light. I still need to ride with the gear to see what I'm actually capable of carrying. I might find that it's not worth bringing both lights.

More likely than not, whoever I am photographing can pack in a flash or two to lighten up my load.

I watched a Lowepro Photo Sport AW sell on ebay the other day for $96 + $35 shipping. That's just a couple of bucks cheaper than what I bought mine for new. So, I can always unload it if I absolutely hate it.

I received the Lowepro Photo Sport AW 200 yesterday and I have to say that I am impressed. It's not going to fit a ton of photo gear, but it will fit my D800 with my 24-70mm 2.8 attached along with a flash or another good size lens in the padded camera compartment (i.e. 135mm f2, 180mm f2.8) . It will also fit a couple of flashes (in their protective cases) in the larger compartment up top along with a couple of gorillapods. The pack is highly adjustable and fits well. It feels snug and secure on my back. I have yet to try it with a hydration bladder, but it looks like it going to work just fine. So far, the only drawback would be the price.

Write A Review!

I received the Lowepro Photo Sport AW 200 yesterday and I have to say that I am impressed. It's not going to fit a ton of photo gear, but it will fit my D800 with my 24-70mm 2.8 attached along with a flash or another good size lens in the padded camera compartment (i.e. 135mm f2, 180mm f2.8) . It will also fit a couple of flashes (in their protective cases) in the larger compartment up top along with a couple of gorillapods. The pack is highly adjustable and fits well. It feels snug and secure on my back. I have yet to try it with a hydration bladder, but it looks like it going to work just fine. So far, the only drawback would be the price.
    Sounds about right to me, Steve. Hope you like it. I know I do. I just realized I'e used the Lowepro more than any other pack biking and hiking this season. I think it's the perfect outdoor pack for day-to-day outdoor stuff.

Please write a review for your pack (and your D800!) once you get to know it. There aren't any user reviews for it yet so we can really use your review. I might even make it into a Featured User Review and put it on the Home page and include a link to your Web site. Here's a link to the user review page:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...0_3139crx.aspx

Looking forward to your first ride report. Thanks in advance for your review
    Photo-John

Thanks to Photo-Johns review on youtube i picked up the lowepro aw200 in black and love it. I mostly use it for day hikes in the Florida swamps and its held up great so far.

I can say for those that read this post that i use this combo in it

Nikon D5100 with 55-300 kit lense attached and hood reversed
    18-55 kit lens and a small cleaning kit, batteries and sd cards in the camera area alone.
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

I've been using Lowepro Fastpack 350, it's very good to cover my SLR camera

Thread Information