Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Some Moto Trials and first shots with new lens

Upgraded to/ testing a 70-200 VRII. First impressions are that it is REALLY sharp, but this is only if it is locked on. Seemed to acquire a solid lock slightly slower than my 80-200AFS or 17-55, but as I have heard, VR slows it down a bit. But I think the VR is part of what makes this lens so ridiculously sharp. So I need to get used to it, and adjust my timing slightly. This is the first time I have shot trials with the D3s too. It makes the longer lens usable, where on a DX sensor it was almost always way too long.

Here are a few that I really like. All of these are at 2.8

Re: Some Moto Trials and first shots with new lens

I really like 2&3
    Thats some talented riders

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I like that little detail of the for sale sign in #2, and the concentration in #1.

I usually have 24-70 on full frame and 70-200 on a crop body for the extra reach.

I try to work with the lens I'll use most on the dominant hand, so for this I'd probably have the 24-70 on the right assuming I could get in close to work, if I had to stay back then the 70-200 would be on the right shoulder and the 24-70 on the left for close-ups/portraits or scenery shots..
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for the comments guys. SmartWombat, for these I am in an unusual situation where I am also competing. It is run and gun! I grab shots after I ride a section or after my class is done with the event. Generally, I carry my 300s with a 17-55 mounted. Sometimes I use a flash sometimes I don't. That lens on that camera seems to be about perfect for most situations in Moto Trials. Pretty much equivalent to the 24-70 on FF. I can get as close as I want and I walk in the course. In general I know the shot I want so I set up for that shot. Much as you would if you were shooting dirt jumping or skateboard stuff. I have found that most of the time the 70-200 is WAY too long on DX for this. But on FX it was pretty doable on the right obstacles. The biggest benefit I see with the big dog is the separation it gives. Last weekend I wasn't really competing. I rode about 2/3 of the day. It was the first time on my bike since last fall. It gave me a chance to use both cameras for some different shots. A few times I was wishing for the fisheye on the 300s. Maybe next time...

Overall I like the results of the new lens. Looking at these 1:1 or even more is pretty incredible. I would say it might be the sharpest lens I have. Next weekend is superbike. So I will see what I think of it after that. I am planning on bringing my 80-200 and do a head to head battle of the 2 in a real world situation with fast moving objects.

timing is everything, and as you found out you need to learn each lenses timing for focusing. It takes practice and more practice, and in different conditions too. Focus time can change with the lighting too.
    You should try shooting cars at 200MPH in the turns at Indy. Depending on where you are you have at the most 1.5 to 2 seconds of good shooting in the turns. In that short time you have to focus on the car you want, fast focus is important, but the trick is to be prefocused for the next shot which helps for the next target and the camera doesn't have to work as hard. I can't count the number of times though I had pre-focused and then had a cloud come over the track just as the car I wanted comes around.....talk about aggravating!
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I like the way with shots 2 & 3 you have captured some of the main attributes required for trials, (2) control and balance, (3) courage and determination
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

lovely clear shots well done

number 2 and 3 have really good exposure, colors and nice environment

Thread Information