shutter chicken

Printable View

• 10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
    SmartWombat
    5 Attachment(s)
    shutter chicken
    That's what it feels like, panning with a 600mm lens following an accelerating sports prototype up hill towards me. How late dare I release the shutter?

As the car gets closer the panning speed increases, as the angle changes more rapidly the closer the car comes to me. I know at some point I'm not going to be able to follow the car as it will go by too fast.

It's a matter of nerve, relaxing and panning smoothly while the car speeds closer ...
  • 11-04-2012, 07:23 AM
    sidecarwife
    Re: shutter chicken
    Maybe not the same as being IN the car, but a rush nonetheless..to know you got the shot!
    Love it.
  • 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM
    Old Timer
    You never fail to impress me with your motor sports images. Nice work Paul.
  • 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
    armando_m
    Great title !!! LOL

and nice images !!
  • 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
    qwenwen
    nice image...
  • 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM
    Inmotion-Photos
    I personally find the pictures a little dark in color. Also, I wonder if all pictures are sharp. For the rest a nice series.
  • 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
    SmartWombat
    Yes, I think that the AF has missed on a few of them.
    I have found it typical of the OM-D to fail on the first shot of a burst when the car is coming towards the camera.

I'm not sure if you're seeing the images the same as I see them on my Macbook Pro.
    I haven't calibrated the monitor yet and these shots are straight raw-to-jpg conversions in lightroom 4.
    What white point is your monitor calibrated to?

And out of interest, what is your workflow?
    Do you shoot RAW?
    Do you shoot RAW+JPG?
    Do you wirelessly send the JPG for instant distribution?
    What software do you use in your flow from camera to final product?

I have friends who are fitting all their Canons with WiFi adapters linking to their laptop back in the media centre to give themselves a head start on image processing.
    I suspect it's overkill, but the push to be first to market with the images is driving them towards iPad as a transmission tool as well as handheld portfolio.