Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Lightbulb Help! Correct Lens Choice

I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel SLR. This is the only digital SLR in my price range at the moment. My main uses for this camera will be shooting different equestrian sports.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good lens choice for this camera? I want to be able to shoot action such as horses jumping, galloping, etc. Most of the time I cannot get close and have to use a zoom lens, and I do not use a tripod because I am usually moving all the time to different spots. I have looked at several of the Canon lenses, but am not sure what would be best for what I want to do.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Does anyone know of any good websites with information on shooting horses?

Thanks!

Lens

I would buy a 70 to 300 lens. You didn't mention how much you were will to spend on a lense, that really will dictate peoples answers for you. If you don't have a lot to spend I would recommend a tamron 70 - 300 f4-5.6 lens. I have compared this with the Canon lens that is of the same quality, the Tamron seems to have a fast focus than the Canon and is about $50 to $100 less. Now if you have more money to spend, alot of people on this form have talked up the Sigma lens.

I'm looking at spending no more then $500.

I have the Canon 75-300 IS lens and I found it to be a bit mediocre. I would honesty suggest looking at the 70-200 f/4 Canon lens I think you would be much happier with that and it should be roughly in your price range. How close are you going to be at the events, if on the fence line for the dressage events this lens should be fine, if on course depends how far away you are from the horses.

Really, I would suggest taking the camera in, using the lenses at the shops and then going home and look at the results on the screen from your CF card, this is a better way to judge lenses than just going on advice from people. Read the reviews in the review section on lenses you are considering, test and then make a decision from that. I am sure if you want to spend no more than $500 but have results indicating a lens that is $50-100 more, you can make a better decision that way.

Also keep in mind that the 70-200 on digital cameras like yours and mine make that a 112-320 f/4 lens which is a good lens to have.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by blyst99
    I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel SLR. This is the only digital SLR in my price range at the moment. My main uses for this camera will be shooting different equestrian sports.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good lens choice for this camera? I want to be able to shoot action such as horses jumping, galloping, etc. Most of the time I cannot get close and have to use a zoom lens, and I do not use a tripod because I am usually moving all the time to different spots. I have looked at several of the Canon lenses, but am not sure what would be best for what I want to do.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Does anyone know of any good websites with information on shooting horses?

Thanks!
    If you can afford $500, wait until you can afford $600, or beg borrow and .... well you get the idea, but do not waste your money on a lens you will not be happy with. If anything buy a used Canon 75 - 300 until you can afford the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. This lens is 200 times better than the Canon 75-300, I know, I own BOTH. Since I bought the Sigma 70-200 the 75-300 has not seen the camera body.
    The Sigma 70 -200 is just plain better glass all around, and if shooting equestrian indoors you will need the 2.8. I shoot equestrian on occasion and I do it indoors as much as outside. The quality is so different, if you can spare the extra $100 (email privately and I'll let you know the place I got mine) get the better lens to start with.... and do not use/buy the Tamron, it dosn't come close in quality.
    The Sigma 70-200 2.8 compares to the extremly over priced Canon 70-200 2.8 USM L lens and was designed to compete with Canon. It dose just that, people who have shot with the Canon 70-200 are amazed at the focus speed of the Sigma which is just as fast as $2700 Canon, but it can be had for around $600.
    Read the reviews on the next, but seriously don't waste your money on a 75-300. If needed you can get a Teleconverter and double the range too for around $150 $200 again much cheaper than Canon. I'd be happy to sell you my 75-300 but I think you'd be much better of with the much better lens.
    John

Thread Information