Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

24 Hours in the Sage

I've competed in this event a few times and even found myself on winning teams a couple of times. This year I just went out and shot some photos of the fun (and suffering). An old friend who used to be race director took the 24 Hr. Solo Townie World Championship. Woot!

IMGP5678.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP5793.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP5840.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: 24 Hours in the Sage

Why no comments!?

I love these photos, Matt! I do see some room for improvement (we all have room for improvement) but they're great. The light and general composition in the first one is wonderful but I wish you'd left a little more room at the top on the first one, to show the horizon better. The second one looks like the flash was a bit hot. However, if you've got the data in the RAW file, maybe you could bring the whole thing down a bit - it's an evening shot so it's ok for it to be a bit dark, right?

Love the townie photo just because of what it is. I can't imagine doing a 24 hour solo race on a bike like that. I remember the first time they had the "Cruiser Cup" at Downieville. Fast Freddie from WTB won it. He was a kid who hung out with the original Repac Mt. Tam riders back in the early days so he knows how to ride a townie / cruiser bike. His time on the downhill on a bike with no suspension and coaster brakes was just plain stupid - faster than I could do it on the best bike available. He raced it with no gloves and somewhere (maybe on slide film) I've got photos of his bloody hands at the end of the race. He didn't crash. They just got all torn up from manhandling the bike on 15 miles of gnarly downhill.

Thanks for sharing these. I'm disappointed that no one else has commented on them. We need to get some more cyclist shooters participating on this forum.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I like the night shots a lot!

Thanks guys. It was a fun shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    We need to get some more cyclist shooters participating on this forum.
    I joined the site a few days ago, I'm very happy to post MTB images from Oz. This is my 10th post. I can now post photographs.

Cheers.

Thread Information