Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Basketball: Vikings bury opposition

In tournament action last Thursday night Pleasant Valley High clobbered their opponent, Durham High, in a lopsided victory. It was the Vikings own tournament, and they got off to a big start. They were already ahead 12-0 midway through the first quarter and led 30-8 at halftime. Durham finally showed some life in the third quarter, but it was a case of too little too late. The Vikings ended up winning 55-29.

[FONT=Helvetica]All photos were shot with D700 + 24-85 f/2.8-4 except #4 where my 80-200 f/2.8 was used. Exposure was manually set at 1/500, f/4, and ISO 8,000 for images #1through #3; 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 4,000 for images #4 through #7.

Notice: The last two photos are displayed here at less than normal size. These two photos are wide angle shots which are much wider than the 800 pixels previously allowed. However, I found that by double-clicking on these two photos they are then displayed at their normal much larger size.

Responses are welcome.

Bob

Some comments about photos #1, #5, and #7:

1. A foul was called for this bit of aggression.

5. This shot and the two following were taken at the 24 mm. setting on my zoom.

7. Will it or won’t it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1878_2.jpg   Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1907_2.jpg   Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1859_2.jpg   Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1708_2.jpg   Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1813_2.jpg  

Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1824_2.jpg   Basketball: Vikings bury opposition-7rb_1784_2.jpg  
    Last edited by Bob32; 12-04-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Re: Basketball: Vikings bury opposition

Nice to get the round ball season going. Love #1 and the wides give a very different perspective of the action. I shot 3 games over the weekend and have another tomorrow night at MSU. Hope to get time to post a few pics soon. In the meantime I have several pics on my SmugMug site. Loving the new D3S and 70-200 f2.8 VRII comb that I used for the firs time this weekend.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks, Larry.

Speaking of round ball you may have noticed that in those two wide angle shots the ball appears to be noticeably out of round. I don't know what sort of photographic phenomenon produces this result, this is not the first time I have noticed this in my photos.

I'm glad that we can now upload photos with dimensions bigger then 800 pixels, even though it's necessary to double-click on them to have them display full size.

I shot two BB games Friday night at Chico State, but have not yet commenced editing some of the better shots.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of the pics produced by your D3s.

Bob

Nice action there! The color looks great too. This place must have pretty good lighting or you are just really good at compensating for bad light.

Matt,

Thanks for responding. This is the best lit gym in the area. The lighting system was terrible until the high school installed a new floor and new lighting system a couple of years ago. Now it's a pleasure to shoot volleyball and basketball games here. It's too bad that not all local schools have upgraded their gym lighting systems. There are two high schools in this area that are still on my boycott list until they come up with better lighting systems.

My Nikon D700 is also a big help in dealing with low light environments. Even with good gym lighting it's still usually necessary to shoot at high ISO settings in order to use fast shutter speeds of 1/500 or faster.

Bob

Thread Information