Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Red face Pentax People -- Problem with flash sync in action ....

I've been a professional equine photographer for about three years now and just recently started shooting manually with my Pentax zx-10 camera. I have the highest powered flash that is available for this camera and has the laser light and all. I do a lot of Tennessee Walking Horse and Racking horse photography - you have to get the legs and all just right or the people will not buy. I KNOW for a fact when I hit my shutter button, that the shot is correct but for the past two shows, when I get my proofs done, I've missed half my shots because the legs are 1 or 2 seconds from where they should be. Is my flash not syncing right?

I've tried to sync it. Also, when I sit the shutter speed manually, and try and use a flash, it will blur the photos terribly, to the point that they are not even salvagable.

Can anyone give me any input on how to get it to start working correctly? My fstops are on as low as they will go on my lense, at 4.5 and shutter speed at 2000. When the flash comes on, the meter reads "TV 60" which is the same as 2000. I'm really getting aggravated at a time when I should be getting better, it's getting worse :S

Thanks.

-Tasha

Did my last post help?

Tasha-
    Did my reply to your other post help? There's no way that TV60 is the same thing as 1/2000th sec. It means 1/60th sec in shutter-priority mode. And your camera's max flash sync speed is 1/100th sec. You might try stopping down some more to make the background darker. That would help freeze and separate the horse from the background better.

Any chance you could post a sample image? Sometimes that makes the problem more clear for the rest of us.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hope To Help You

Quote Originally Posted by TnSeWalkin
    I've been a professional equine photographer for about three years now and just recently started shooting manually with my Pentax zx-10 camera. I have the highest powered flash that is available for this camera and has the laser light and all. I do a lot of Tennessee Walking Horse and Racking horse photography - you have to get the legs and all just right or the people will not buy. I KNOW for a fact when I hit my shutter button, that the shot is correct but for the past two shows, when I get my proofs done, I've missed half my shots because the legs are 1 or 2 seconds from where they should be. Is my flash not syncing right?

I've tried to sync it. Also, when I sit the shutter speed manually, and try and use a flash, it will blur the photos terribly, to the point that they are not even salvagable.

Can anyone give me any input on how to get it to start working correctly? My fstops are on as low as they will go on my lense, at 4.5 and shutter speed at 2000. When the flash comes on, the meter reads "TV 60" which is the same as 2000. I'm really getting aggravated at a time when I should be getting better, it's getting worse :S

Thanks.

-Tasha
    BOY I DONT SEE HOW YOUR GETTING ANYTHING AT ALL AT 1/2000 .THATS WAY TO FAST.YOU ACN STOP A PENNY FALLING AT 1/60.I CAN GIVE YOU A SURE FIRE WAY TO TAKE GREAT SHOTS.
    I USE A SUNPAK 544 ON MY PENTAX,SET SHUTTER TO 125,AND LET CAMERA PICK APERTURES.THE DISTANCE AT WHICH YOU SHOOT WILL ALWAYS BE INCONSISTANT YARDAGE,SO THIS WILL TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDEARTION.
    I PROMISE YOU THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR SHOTS FOREVER.
    FREELANCE1031@AOL.COM
    IF I CAN HELP ,HOLLER!

A bugger
    Dude, don't shout, we can hear you...

Quote Originally Posted by Ouvinen
    Dude, don't shout, we can hear you...
    IM SORRY,I DIDNT MEAN TO SHOUT.I JUST GET SO EXCITED,YOU KNOW!

Thread Information