Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

My Supercross experience

What else can I say, I shot Supercross in Salt Lake last weekend for the Rockwell team. It was a pretty awesome experience to get to be on the track. But at the same time it was really tough. There were a lot of rules. The stadium is really small and there is not a lot of room for you. Basically it was the center of the track or the stands. My main focus of the day was getting photos of sponsor stuff in the pit area and doing some after party shots that night.

I am still going through photos. So I will post up some stuff as I get through it. Here are a few that stuck out so far.

#1 This is one of my favorites. I am not much of a panning guy, but I went for this one during qualifiers.

#2 The pass of the night and what probably sealed the deal for Villopoto winning the series.

#3 Where I almost was run over

Some of the many hot chicks.:thumbsup:
    Last edited by zerodog; 05-04-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Re: My Supercross experience

holy cow !

#1 and #4 are fantastic !!!

and :thumbsup: to the rock star drink ladies

really nice pics.
    Number 1 is my favorit
    Did you had any issues with the light of the stadium? and what kind of flash did you use?

thanks

Yeah the light sucked in the stadium. And it rapidly changed in brightness and WB as it got dark. I used an SB900 and SB600 at different times of the night.

That first one really captured the sense of speed and excitement for me and the last one well......
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Here are a few more.

#6 A sea of green. Leading the charge is a Salt Lake rider Grey Davenport. Gotta get some of his pics to his shop.

#7 Here is one of the cool fisheye action shots. The thing that would have been better about this is if it were packed with guys. Or in the background guys in the air on that jump. This was during qualifiers. So guys were pretty spaced out. I was not allowed in this position again. This is one of my "illegal" zones.

Some fisheye Monster babes. This one kills me because it is almost awesome. I underexposed a little bit with the 300s at 3200ISO. Bam noise like a mofo. So it is a bit soft. Might need to try this one in noise ninja to see if I can tone it up a bit. This shot right here is why I want a D400!

#9 I like this one. Still just a little noisey. More ISO please! The Exposure was almost spot on with this shot. So the noise is not nearly as bad.

This is what the fisheye is all about. Kevin Windham in his trailer. The Rockwell dudes just gave him that bling new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    Some fisheye Monster babes. This one kills me because it is almost awesome. I underexposed a little bit with the 300s at 3200ISO. Bam noise like a mofo. So it is a bit soft. Might need to try this one in noise ninja to see if I can tone it up a bit. This shot right here is why I want a D400!......
    While we wait for a d400... have you tried "Define" from nik software ?
    it's not magic and probably with an under exposed high iso it will still have problems

I tried and really liked it

I have only used the free version of noise ninja and never liked the results, with Define on the other hand I got nice results

You have some cool shots in there for sure. I like the fisheye of the Honda going by. Too bad you didnt have a 6 foot fill card to fill the ladies in with on that last shot. I didnt think they had plastic surgeons in Utah Rockstar must have flown their ladies in.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    I didnt think they had plastic surgeons in Utah Rockstar must have flown their ladies in.
    Common misperception. Supposedly, Northern Utah is the second biggest market for breast enhancement in the US. Not what you would expect, huh?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

We have no shortage of boobies in Utah that is for sure. But, I believe these are all imports. I think these chicks all go on tour with supercross for the season. The monster chicks do for sure. I am pretty sure the rockstar girls are the same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Common misperception. Supposedly, Northern Utah is the second biggest market for breast enhancement in the US. Not what you would expect, huh?

Even in Hildale? Or maybe its more common there. I kid.

Looks like I am heading to World Superbike here in Utah doing the same deal again. I am pumped.

Thread Information