Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Motor speed concern - Sigma 180-500 lens w/ a Canon EOS 2000?

Apologies for the rookie question but I'm just getting back into surf photography. I just bought a Canon EOS 2000 and a Sigma 180 - 500 APO lens. If I'm taking action shots, should I be concerned with this camera and lens' combined AF speed? I hope I'm asking this question correctly. As a novice, I really appreciate any help you can give. If it isn't the right set up, I want to return the camera and get the next model up. Thanks again.

Bro

AF Speed

bro88-
    Do you mean the 170-500mm Sigm? There's no 180-500mm lens listed on this site or the Sigma site.

To answer your question, the autofocus won't be very fast with that combo. That lens doesn't have Sigma's fast HSM motor, and the Rebel 2000 doesn't have Canon's best AF technology. However, if you're shooting surfers from the shore, you're not dealing with a high-speed focusing situation. The surfers won't be moving towards you very quickly. I don't think you're going to have any trouble. Stop down a little to give yourself some depth-of-field cushion and I think you'll be fine. And when you have some more money, buy the Canon 600mm lens and a 2x extender. That's the ticket for shooting surfing from the cliffs!

Post some photos! We need some surf stuff on here. All most of us post is mountain bikes. Variety is good!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sigma 170-500 AF Speed

John,

Thanks for the great advice. I went ahead and upgraded to an Elan 7 and am much happier. I'll have to wait until my ship comes in to get the new lens but hopefully this will work ok for now. I'll make sure to post some good phtos from this winter's surf season on the site. Thanks again!

Breaux

You're in SF?

Where do you shoot? Are you a surfer or do you just shoot surfing? I'd be psyched to go out with someone else to shoot some surfing. Every winter I play with surf photography a little. I've shot Linda Mar, Ft. Point, Mavericks (from the shore), etc. Someone who occassionally uses this site is a rescue guy at Mavericks and keeps telling me he'll take me out on the jet ski. That's a scary proposition for me but I think I can't pass it up. I also have a friend who's a serious skim boarder and he keeps trying to get me out to shoot the skimmers in Santa Cruz.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information