Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

What I have been up to.

Well, I have been shooting like crazy! Lots of pictures! I got this new 1D MKII about 2 weeks ago and I am 2500 pix in. I love it, but I still have a lot to learn about it.

Here are some pix from you.

Moto

Denver Grand Prix

Snowmass

That is all for now. Hope you enjoy!

These are peachy shots... I'm still relatively new to this motorsport (and biking) malarkey, but I hope I know a good action shot when I see one!

It looks like some of your highlights are blown - my advice would be to keep a very close on that histogram (particularly if you are shooting jpeg - there's a bit more latitude in RAW) and set up a custom profile with reduced contrast if the sun is high and bright - not often a problem here in the UK!

What lens(es) are you using? The only improvement might be made through using an even longer focal length and isolating the subject matter even more - the first three shots achieve that well though.

Nice work.
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

I know some of the highlights are blown on the car and the one of Greg minnar. I just did a wrong exposure on greg, and the car, well I am messing around with different treatments and this one is just a bit off. I have to play with it some more, when i have time!

Thanks for the comments!!

Ruler!

Looks like you're giving the new camera a serious workout. That's great. These photos are all excellent. It's not like you weren't takig good pictures before, though. The new camera should just help you get more, and in more demanding situations. I think super-fast 45 AF points are key. I like my 10D fine for anything where speed and focus accuracy aren't a big deal. But you can't beat the 1D and Mark II for speed and precision.

What race are the bike photos from? I know there was a National in Colorado recently.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah, those shots are from the Snowmass National. It was a great event. I was running into people all over the trail that were talking about how well organized it was since it actually ran by the schedule!

Here are a few more from Snowmass. I love this camera!

Whaddya think?

I got there pretty early to set up the shot that you can see with the first two here. I get the flash out set that up get the pocket wizards out. Everything is set, 3 maybe 4 pro women go by then... BAM!! One of them runs off course and plows my flash. Flash is over here, PW is over there, tripod is not near either of them. So it broke my cold shoe mount for the tripod and I had to improvise. What to use...what to do...MEDIA PASS. The lanyard from the Media pass came in handy, I used it to tie the flash to the tripod and got the thing running again. just in time for the remaining pro women. The flash isn't in good shape, but I think it will last for another couple races... The pocketwizard is remarkably unharmed and the tripod is in pretty good shape too!
    Over all it was a tough weekend. I broke my flash, my camera bag fell appart and I had to perform some rescue opperation on 1 of the CF cards to recover my photos.

The Film camera still works though:

These are stonkingly good - super stuff - I particularly like the poor guy biting the dust (literally by the looks of it!)...

My MkII arrived yesterday - and, judging by your fine results, I'm going to have some serious fun with it!
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Thread Information