• 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
    Bob32
    7 Attachment(s)
    More shots from basketball tournament
    I recently posted some photos from the 1st and 2nd games of a high school basketball tournament I attended on December 6 and 7. Here are additional photos taken during games 3 through 6.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

1. The Pleasant Valley High Vikings were the home team for the tournament playing the Oroville Tigers in shots #1 through 3.
    Attachment 90749

Attachment 90750

Attachment 90751

Shot from the Elk Grove/Washington contest.
    Attachment 90752

5. Knights player facing the twin towers in the College
    Park/Downey game.
    Attachment 90753

6. Elk Grove vs. Oroville in shots #6 and 7.
    Attachment 90754

Attachment 90755
  • 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM
    Old Timer
    Re: More shots from basketball tournament
    Once again very nice action shots. Numbers 2 and 6 are my picks but all make the grade. Those white walls and low ceiling sure seem to give you some great reflected light. One of the problems I fight are yellow walls and the reflected color cast and a very dark light sucking stage curtain on one end of my home gym.
  • 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Once again very nice action shots. Numbers 2 and 6 are my picks but all make the grade. Those white walls and low ceiling sure seem to give you some great reflected light. One of the problems I fight are yellow walls and the reflected color cast and a very dark light sucking stage curtain on one end of my home gym.

Thanks much, Larry. It may be hard to believe, but until a couple of years ago this gym was on my boycott list because of the lousy lighting system. Then the school upgraded the gym by installing a new floor and a great lighting system. When I walked into the gym for the first time after the upgrade I could hardly believe my eyes. It's now the brightest gym in the area.

Bob
  • 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
    mattb
    Great action! Nice job.
  • 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Great action! Nice job.

Thanks, Matt. In sports, action is what it's all about!

Bob
  • 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
    jacobovs
    Again, these shots are great from an action point of view and I like all of the compositions. They resonate with a harshness thats not working for me.
  • 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobovs View Post
    Again, these shots are great from an action point of view and I like all of the compositions. They resonate with a harshness thats not working for me.

Shal,

Thanks, but I'm having trouble understanding your comment about harshness here and in another post. Please elaborate so that I can address the issue if remedial action on my part is called for. These images have been reviewed here and in another more demanding sports forum and no other mention of harshness has been forthcoming. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste rather than a shortcoming in the images.

Does anybody else reading this want to weigh in on this issue? Do these images look harsh to you? I'd appreciate having comments on this issue, especially from the more experienced photographers on this forum like Old Timer or the moderator.

Bob
  • 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
    jacobovs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Shal,

Thanks, but I'm having trouble understanding your comment about harshness here and in another post. Please elaborate so that I can address the issue if remedial action on my part is called for. These images have been reviewed here and in another more demanding sports forum and no other mention of harshness has been forthcoming. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste rather than a shortcoming in the images.

Does anybody else reading this want to weigh in on this issue? Do these images look harsh to you? I'd appreciate having comments on this issue, especially from the more experienced photographers on this forum like Old Timer or the moderator.

Bob

Take a look at the shots carefully. The hair and skin on some of the players look " frosted " . The best way to see this is to look at shot #3. The blue player's face looks like he had frosty makeup on. Look at the edges of skin and background, same look. Almost HDR like. I have seen this before in some of my shots that are oversharpened with an additional software. Please don't take this as an accusation , it's only an observation. and its pretty consistant in these shots and the others you posted from this tournament.
  • 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobovs View Post
    Take a look at the shots carefully. The hair and skin on some of the players look " frosted " . The best way to see this is to look at shot #3. The blue player's face looks like he had frosty makeup on. Look at the edges of skin and background, same look. Almost HDR like. I have seen this before in some of my shots that are oversharpened with an additional software. Please don't take this as an accusation , it's only an observation. and its pretty consistant in these shots and the others you posted from this tournament.

Shal,

I have reviewed photo #3 in great detail on my year-old 27" iMac and can honestly say that I see no evidence of what you report. This is a brightly lit gym--the brightest in the area--and in #3 the Oroville player is looking up with the light shining off his face, but it doesn't appear as frosty makeup to me. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why you are seeing what you are seeing while I don't see it at all! I'm wondering if this could be due to a difference in monitors. I'm careful to avoid over-sharpening, and I don't believe that I over-sharpened this image.

I was hoping that others might weigh in on this subject so that I have more than one comment to go by, but so far there has been no further responses. I may have to submit this image to another forum that I am familiar with where I can receive critiques from a variety of experienced photographers.

Bob
  • 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
    Steve1840
    Looking at the photos, I don't think they are really showing harshness. At least nothing that kills the shots. Some of the players in the shots that are looking upward have a little more highlights on their faces, but that is to be expected looking toward the ceiling in a gym that has that good of a lighting system. However, it is not really a killer since those players are not the "main" focus of the image.

All-in-all, the shots look great, especially for shooting a lot of white-on-white with the uniforms and gymnasium walls.
  • 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM
    Bob32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1840 View Post
    Looking at the photos, I don't think they are really showing harshness. At least nothing that kills the shots. Some of the players in the shots that are looking upward have a little more highlights on their faces, but that is to be expected looking toward the ceiling in a gym that has that good of a lighting system. However, it is not really a killer since those players are not the "main" focus of the image.

All-in-all, the shots look great, especially for shooting a lot of white-on-white with the uniforms and gymnasium walls.

Steve,

Thanks a lot for your positive report. I appreciate your feedback.

Bob