Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

More high school B-ball tournament action

Oroville HIgh played Lassen High in the first of two tournament games I shot on December 20. Oroville displayed less than stellar form in a tournament I attended earlier in the month, so I decided to concentrate on Lassen in this game. Oroville played much better ball in this contest and edged Lassen 61-60.

All shots were taken with D700 + 80-200 f/2.8 except #1 shot with 50 mm. f/1.8.

Bob

More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4122_2.jpg

More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4261_2.jpg

More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4221_2.jpg

More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4345_2.jpg

I got a big kick out of watching this little guy shooting baskets during the halftime break.
    More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4242_2.jpg

Here he is sharpening his shooting skills.
    More high school B-ball tournament action-7rb_4245_2.jpg

Re: More high school B-ball tournament action

Super work Bob! Love #3 and #5 is a real great expression and catch on the little guy. I'm taking a little Christmas break to spend time with the kids and grandkids. Hope to get back shooting basketball next week.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks, Larry. I'm appreciating my 80-200 more this year for capturing basketball action. Am using it half of each game, but it's responsible for more than half of my keepers.

Bob

The 80-200 range is such a wonderfully diverse lens on the full frame cameras. It is very hard to beat. I shoot two cameras as you know and the the 70-200 never comes off along with a shorter zoom on the second camera.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    The 80-200 range is such a wonderfully diverse lens on the full frame cameras. It is very hard to beat. I shoot two cameras as you know and the the 70-200 never comes off along with a shorter zoom on the second camera.
    Larry,

In my younger days I used to carry around two cameras plus a camera bag with extra lenses. Not so in my later years. Now I like to go as light as possible. I have a bag--sometimes two--to transport the stuff to the shooting site, but when I'm actually taking photos I carry only one camera and at most, only one extra lens. Most of the time I am shooting without any extra lenses on my person. The cameras and lenses are heavier now than they used to be, so the "Light Is Right" approach works for me in the senior years.

I'd appreciate your additional feedback re my 12/16 post titled "More shots from basketball tournament." Some guy reported that my shots "resonate with a harshness that's not working for me." I replied that I didn't understand his comment and asked him to elaborate, but he disappeared from the scene without ever responding. I still don't know what he was taking about. You didn't mention any "harshness" when you reviewed these photos on 12/17. Please review them again and give me your honest opinion whether there's some "harshness" issue that I need to deal with.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Larry,

In my younger days I used to carry around two cameras plus a camera bag with extra lenses. Not so in my later years. Now I like to go as light as possible. I have a bag--sometimes two--to transport the stuff to the shooting site, but when I'm actually taking photos I carry only one camera and at most, only one extra lens. Most of the time I am shooting without any extra lenses on my person. The cameras and lenses are heavier now than they used to be, so the "Light Is Right" approach works for me in the senior years.

I'd appreciate your additional feedback re my 12/16 post titled "More shots from basketball tournament." Some guy reported that my shots "resonate with a harshness that's not working for me." I replied that I didn't understand his comment and asked him to elaborate, but he disappeared from the scene without ever responding. I still don't know what he was taking about. You didn't mention any "harshness" when you reviewed these photos on 12/17. Please review them again and give me your honest opinion whether there's some "harshness" issue that I need to deal with.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I didn't disappear, I'm on vacation and have not had much time to get back to you.

These shots are the same. The compositions are great but there is something odd about the IQ. The best example is #4. Look at his hair, the shine on it looks like frosting. The edge of his skin has that same frosted look. His face looks modeled and the skin tone looks un natural ( maybe ashen is the best description). Shot #1 has similar issues. I have a sense that you are taking these observations personally. I don't mean it that way. These are just observations. I have taken a look at them with 3 different monitors and they all show mw the same thing.

Just trying to be helpful.
    Shal

Quote Originally Posted by jacobovs View Post
    Hi Bob,

I didn't disappear, I'm on vacation and have not had much time to get back to you.

These shots are the same. The compositions are great but there is something odd about the IQ. The best example is #4. Look at his hair, the shine on it looks like frosting. The edge of his skin has that same frosted look. His face looks modeled and the skin tone looks un natural ( maybe ashen is the best description). Shot #1 has similar issues. I have a sense that you are taking these observations personally. I don't mean it that way. These are just observations. I have taken a look at them with 3 different monitors and they all show mw the same thing.

Just trying to be helpful.
    Shal,

I have to report that these images look fine to me. The problem you perceive may exist, but it is not apparent to me at all. I don’t know how apparent this issue might be to others. So far you are the only one who has brought it up. On another website there’s a forum I’m aware of where photos can be posted to receive technical advice from experienced photographers. On that forum I plan to post the images you have specifically referred to and request a critique in an attempt to get to the bottom of this issue.

In the meantime I'm in somewhat of a dilemma, because it's difficult to know how to deal with a supposed problem when no problem is apparent to deal with in the first place!

Bob

I feel that it is just a matter of taste in the way you and Shal choose to process and exhibit your work. Doesn't make one right the other wrong, just different. You and I choose to process and exhibit differently but we can enjoy each other's work just the same.

Nikon Samurai #13

It was always difficult for me to write an essay, since I am not a very good student, but this website always helped me to get a good grade at the university, on one site all the reviews about the best essay writing services are collected. I am happy to help you. It is important when we students can help drush friends. Moreover, sport takes a very large amount of time and it is not always possible to find opportunities to just learn. And yes you definitely need to read it review phdify

To business writing, you need to be short, consistent, and provide arguments that you can prove. Also, choose a writing style that works best for the genre. If you adhere to these rules, then the output can be a complete work that will be interesting to readers. But no matter how hard I tried, I didn't manage to write a good essay, and my friends encouraged me to dig into trying this out, and I was very happy with the custom content provided to me.

The forums you share are really useful to me, I will follow your posts regularly. For more information about me, visit here: us map

Thread Information