Moonlight park skate

Printable View

• 11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
    mattb
    Moonlight park skate
    Shot this with my new K-3 and my old standby lens, the DA 15mm f/4 and a flash on a pole camera right triggered by Cactus v5 triggers.
    I was hoping we could do it darker so I could get stars in it too but that was too dark to skate.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/1...77aaf9a0_c.jpg
    IMGP0662-Edit-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/1...65a972ca_c.jpg
    IMGP0670-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr
  • 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Moonlight park skate
    Those look good, Matt. Did you think about shooting that first one a bit earlier and with a longer lens to pull the moon in bigger?

Any thoughts on the K-3 auto focus, yet? That's the biggest question in my mind.
  • 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
    mattb
    Thanks and yeah, earlier would have been better for the moon but a long shot would be tough there. Lots of stuff around to get in the way.
    I was actually hoping I could get them to skate in the dark with headlamps or glow sticks and do a long exposure plus a flash pop to get stars, trails, and skaters all in one shot. Still working on getting a willing skater for that!

I'll definitely be revisiting this concept again as I can.

The AF in the K-3 was far superior to the K-5 in this very low light. Really pretty amazing. I hear it's less of a leap from the K-5ii but I skipped that cycle so it seems really good to me. Locked on fast and accurately in most cases for this shoot.
  • 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM
    armando_m
    Love the second shot ! because of the movement you were able to capture
  • 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
    mattb
    thank you!
  • 11-20-2013, 05:40 AM
    SmartWombat
    I like the movement in the second shot too.

Does your flash have a strobe mode?
    So you can set it for 2fps or maybe even 1fps and shoot a long exposure, with the repeated flashes giving the movement as well.
  • 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
    mattb
    Thanks, good idea! It may be a while before I can try again, it's all snowy here now (which makes me happy).
  • 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Thanks, good idea! It may be a while before I can try again, it's all snowy here now (which makes me happy).

Try it with a snowboard, then ;-)