Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

A long hot day in the sun.

Loughborough Athletics 23/05/2010

A few shots from yesterday’s athletics.
    A long hard day in the sun.
    Although I know I have a lot to learn about shooting at events like this I really enjoyed the day and feel I got some reasonable shots. This year I took 2 bodies with a 24-70 on one and a 70-300 on the other so no time wasted changing lenses. I also picked up some tips and advice from some of the pro’s that were covering the event.
    A media pass meant that I could access all areas including the track but not the high performance centre where the athletes change and warm up. There was also an area near the finish line where the media could interview and photograph the athletes when each event finished. All in all a really well organised event.

Jessica Ennis

Jessica Ennis in the high jump.

Jessica Ennis in the 100m Hurdles. A bit tightly framed, but I was shooting the Pole vault and quikly turned around for this shot when I heard the starting gun go off.

Pole Vault.

Mens 1500m.

Concentrating athlete

Finding some shade. It was not easy to find any shade on the infield, so this athlete brought her own.

Jessica again.

And again.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: A long hot day in the sun.

The pole vault shot I would have waited until the point of release, or perhaps just before it.
    One of those situations where I might waive my usual hatred of spray&pray burst shooting.
    Until I learned just what the right moment was for the shot.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Fair comment , but I shot just under 1000 shots in 8 hours of athletics approximately 100 of those were pole vault during different phases of the dicipline, approach, plant, take off, peak of action and release, also from various angles. I posted this particular shot because of the curve in the pole at maximum stress.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I see, then if the pole is the subject, the shoes and the unsightly pose possibly shouldn't appear the centre of attention.
    I don't see how that can be done from this angle, though.

I think it would need a narrow DoF, from 90 degrees to the plane of the bend of the pole.
    I would try from the left (in this image) of the rundway and behind the athlete, if possible, so that they were slightly out of focus.
    It's going to be very difficult though, and if it works the hands would be in sharp focus on the pole.

It looks very cramped there, and I'm not sure what position you could get.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Nice set. Looks like you had some bright sun and managed it well. I think the pole looks pretty cool at that angle. Maybe not the best angle to catch the action of the vault, but it is a cool shot none the less.

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    I see, then if the pole is the subject, the shoes and the unsightly pose possibly shouldn't appear the centre of attention.
    I don't see how that can be done from this angle, though.

I think it would need a narrow DoF, from 90 degrees to the plane of the bend of the pole.
    I would try from the left (in this image) of the rundway and behind the athlete, if possible, so that they were slightly out of focus.
    It's going to be very difficult though, and if it works the hands would be in sharp focus on the pole.

It looks very cramped there, and I'm not sure what position you could get.
    I agree. Some of the angles are far from flattering.

I think that the portrait style work will work better with a bit of fill flash to balance out brilliant sky. It will also add catch light to the eyes which adds life to the image.

The B&W conversion would benefit form more contrast. As it stands now it's shades of gray, and is begging a true black, so that it exhibits a full tonal range. Fill flash would help that as well.

Sport shooting works well if you get the eyes. Isolate one subject with shallow DoF, and try to catch the eyes. It also helps to move around and look at angles. I use lots of time up just looking at set ups before I even pull a camera from the bag. I watch warm ups to see where things happen, and plan my shots accordingly. Last, with so much going on at a meet like this it helps to have a plan. Think about what you really want to capture and focus on that event or series of events.
    It's not about the camera....

well done some cracking shots there

for the high jump I usually try to go on the other side, well depends if it's a lefter or not...so I can catch the eyes.
    for the pole vault, in that direction I would rather be above...still to catch the eyes, another position is to catch her from behind when passing...or not

nice set! thanks for it

Thread Information