• 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
    AgingEyes
    5 Attachment(s)
    From a local Judo tournament
  • 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
    zerodog
    Re: From a local Judo tournament
    I think you did a great job with these. Good action and a nice B&W conversion. The light for these type of events totally sucks. I am guessing your conversion is to battle some of that. But I really dig it. These remind me of the photos in an older martial arts book.
  • 02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
    AgingEyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodog
    I am guessing your conversion is to battle some of that.

I can't say no to that :). It's also a way to deal with poor white balance or noisy base images.

I have to say the lighting of this gym is better than the others I've been as it has big windows on one side. The next location will be worse. Wherever it is, I find the biggest problem is the background: always some things or some people there. And I can't dictate where the actions happen :)

Thank you for the comments, zerodog !!
  • 02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
    zerodog
    Here is what you have to remember with these type of comps. The people and stuff in the background tell the story too. They are not always bad to show. It is a competition, not a staged shot. There are spectators. A lot of the time they are teammates, parents, friends or family. In your case you had an old lady judge. But, she is part of the comp and important.

I have shot a few seminars at a local MMA gym. This place has a yellow wall, red mat, red wall with a white top, and a blue mat on top of that 1 wall is all windows. That combined with not hot lights makes for very hard WB. I use an expodisk. I shoot it straight up at the lights from the main red mat to set my custom WB. For the most part this gets me very close. But depending on what wall I am facing or what mat I am shooting on, tweaking in PP needs to happen. But when all else fails, and the color/ exposure sucks a sure way to make a bad shot not so bad is B&W conversion.
  • 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
    armando_m
    nice timing on all of these, love the expression of the judge on the 4th image
  • 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
    AgingEyes
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodog
    Here is what you have to remember with these type of comps. The people and stuff in the background tell the story too. They are not always bad to show. It is a competition, not a staged shot. There are spectators. A lot of the time they are teammates, parents, friends or family. In your case you had an old lady judge. But, she is part of the comp and important.

You are right, zerodog. I have to say most of the time I'm there for the action shots as I'm not in the mentality of documenting the tournament per se. Certainly sometimes good subjects do appear away from the actions. Here's one interesting coach that I wish I had discovered earlier in the tournament:

Attachment 82936

Attachment 82937

For a short while he was more active than his fighter :D Probably would be better shots to include the fighters in the shots I think.

Quote:

I have shot a few seminars at a local MMA gym. This place has a yellow wall, red mat, red wall with a white top, and a blue mat on top of that 1 wall is all windows. That combined with not hot lights makes for very hard WB. I use an expodisk. I shoot it straight up at the lights from the main red mat to set my custom WB. For the most part this gets me very close.
    Good suggestion !

I simply use auto WB because of the mixed lights and realize that I likely have to pp one way or another. Good thing is we know the gi is largely white and that's one of the reference points I use during pp. I usually don't make the WB 100% but rather make the final image looks more what my eyes saw at the scene.

Thank you for the advice, zerodog !!
  • 02-10-2011, 05:46 AM
    zerodog
    Watch out for the Gis. What I have found is they absorb the color cast from the mat or a close wall. So, they can fake you out! But sometimes they get you closer and makes the tweaking by eye easier.

In mixed indoor lighting, custom WB is the only way to go.

I like the coach shots too. Great captures.
  • 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
    rene_salta
    shoot raw and that will eliminate your wb problem.
  • 02-12-2016, 01:18 AM
    christravels1000
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hi AgingEyes,

I have found this amazing photo you took:
    Attachment 93363
    Would you give me the permission to use it on my website, giving you the credit as the owner? Do you have an official website?

Thanks for getting back to me!
    Best regards,
    Chris
  • 12-21-2017, 05:14 AM
    razashaikh
    Great timing. Nice set of photos.
  • 03-13-2018, 11:56 PM
    Roshni
    Great live and timely done shots :)
  • 04-18-2018, 09:42 PM
    DSP121
    Absolute perfection!
  • 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM
    rushphoto22
    Great shots, but what camera did you use?
  • 05-30-2019, 08:41 PM
    joshwilson
    Nice timing. Great captures.
    geometry dash
  • 06-03-2019, 05:38 AM
    Notara
    I love judo. This sport fascinates me. Guys, tell please, where I can find contest on judo?
  • 06-03-2019, 05:42 AM
    Elmera
    Unfortunately for you, I don't like judo. I like Boxing better. But I can try to help you. I'm always looking for competitions in sport on this website https://fscore-bd.com/ . Here you can find the competition schedule, videos and more. I really hope I helped you.
  • 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM
    danB
    Yes, these are some really great photos! Good timing on everything and perfect angles... I just started Judo training along side my photography business. I am very sore everyday haha!
    Dillon - https://photoboothwinnipeg.com/wedding-photo-booth-winnipeg
  • 10-01-2019, 02:24 AM
    kubon88
    A very nice and meaningful forum, I really like your content. Thank you for sharing information. Find out about me here
    geometry dash
  • 10-21-2019, 01:55 AM
    rechika
    My son is engaged in boxing. I tried to take a photo but everything was washed away. How do you manage to photograph sports?
  • 02-14-2020, 12:59 AM
    goalken
    Your feedback helps me a lot, A very meaningful event, I hope everything will go well run 3
  • 02-11-2021, 12:26 PM
    turnerbulla
    I have been looking for an official version of this on any of the video game storefronts but I have had zero success. I guess I will have to use this link to get this game because I can’t seem to find one on official channels. I was hoping to add this to my games library alongside click here to continue and आइए खेलते हैं dr. driving as my main games for the next couple of weeks. I really had fond memories when I played this game but I was not able to finish it all the way through because I was only renting back then.
  • 03-09-2021, 07:10 AM
    RosiLi
    I love judo too. An interesting fact is that in Japan these competitions are held without taking into account the weight of the competitors.