Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    NSSA/AIPS

Larry H Miller Tour Of Utah

Team Time Trial: Omega-Pharma-Quickstep from Belgium demonstrate a discipline rarely seen on the US. All team members on course at one time, time for the team is taken on the third rider across the line.

The field chasing hard after a break away of six riders near Woodland Utah

After 6 days of racing, nearly 600 miles, and 39,000 feet of climbing there's not much left in the tank.
    Last edited by Chris350; 08-18-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: oops image resize..
    It's not about the camera....

Re: Larry H Miller Tour Of Utah

Very nice photos! The time trail one is my favorite.
    I'll be out shooting some of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge here in Colorado this week and I'm pretty excited!

Nice, Chris! Thanks for sharing. I agree with Matt about the TT photo. That one is really nice. You got a good sky there.

I think I saw you down in the creek bed when you shot that one of the peleton. I noticed a couple of guys down there setting up when we passed in the car, chasing the breakaway group.

I need to post some of my photos, too. Thanks for reminding me. I think next year I'm going to make a bigger effort, too. The Roadbike Review manager says he can get me on a moto. I'm not gonna try to compete with you but I'd like to see what that's like. Shooting from the car was really hard.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm eagerly awaiting my MOTO assignment for Wednesday's stage (USAPCC - Gunnison to Aspen stage). Crossing my fingers it will really come together this year!

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    I'm eagerly awaiting my MOTO assignment for Wednesday's stage (USAPCC - Gunnison to Aspen stage). Crossing my fingers it will really come together this year!
    Have you shot from a moto before, Matt? I haven't. After the final day of ToU, Chris posted that he was sore all over. I really wanna give it a shot because the car was there to support the team so I was wherever they needed to be for that. Plus, I mostly had to shoot through windows, which was a much bigger issue than I expected.
    Photo-John

NSSA/AIPS

Yep John that was cyclingnews.com shooter Jon Devich and I in the creek bed.
    Good luck on the moto guys. We fought like cats and dogs for those seats. I work for an international website as well as three print publications. Basically there are 6-7 seats and a bazillion shooters who feel they are qualified to fill one. I'm somewhat protective of my status because I've worked hard to get my seat time all over the west. It costs me money every time I don't get that ride.
    By the end of a race after I work 3-5 stages all I want is to crawl off and sleep. It's hard stressful work.

John: We have three local drivers that we can get into local races if you want the experience. I can get you hooked up with one of them. A UCI race is not really where I'd choose to learn to work moto.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris350 View Post
    John: We have three local drivers that we can get into local races if you want the experience. I can get you hooked up with one of them. A UCI race is not really where I'd choose to learn to work moto.
    Thanks. That sounds like a great idea. When is the next local race?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Have you shot from a moto before, Matt? I haven't. After the final day of ToU, Chris posted that he was sore all over. I really wanna give it a shot because the car was there to support the team so I was wherever they needed to be for that. Plus, I mostly had to shoot through windows, which was a much bigger issue than I expected.
    No, just a team car and had an experience similar to what you describe. Cool and fun but not as good as it could be for getting the shots. I think a certain number of spots go to local press which is my angle. I'm sure it's a workout. I'll probably be sore too but I'll hopefully walk it off on my hike back to CB from Aspen the following day. I'm just really looking forward to being able to get ahead and set up shots in multiple places. I know this course and there are some great spots!

Picking a featured photo for the sports forum was easy this time. Thanks for sharing your Tour of Utah photos, Chris
    Photo-John

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Picking a featured photo for the sports forum was easy this time. Thanks for sharing your Tour of Utah photos, Chris
    You're welcome. Glad to see they were well received.

Thread Information