Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Kickboxing

JMK

Kickboxing

Taken at a recent event in Eau Claire, WI:

Re: Kickboxing

That guy in the purple pants took a beatdown.

JMK

They're blue on my screen, but yes, he did. He was OUT out.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    They're blue on my screen, but yes, he did. He was OUT out.
    So were the pants really blue or purple? I am seeing more of a purplish color on my laptop right now. What did your eyeballs see in real life, if you remember?

As usual. Some cool shots. Head gear sucks huh!

JMK

Blue. Almost the same shade as his opponent's gloves, which are also blue. The referee's safety gloves are purple.

Headgear is for the amateur fights. I think it's optional, but if one guy opts to wear a helmet both fighters have to. It used to bother me, because in addition to obscuring their faces they'd also be wearing oversized gloves, but this event it didn't really seem to hinder my shots.

I don't like to see women do this but hey, if they want to let 'em...

So you shot above the ropes and not through them? Interesting. Good work.

JMK

Yeah, I was up on the ring apron shooting. They hired me to shoot, and wanted me to get the best shots possible. It's not always possible to be up on the apron as with say pro boxing, but when at all possible I prefer to shoot from the apron. Shooting from the ground level up for 3 hours invariably leads to neck and back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Yeah, I was up on the ring apron shooting. They hired me to shoot, and wanted me to get the best shots possible. It's not always possible to be up on the apron as with say pro boxing, but when at all possible I prefer to shoot from the apron. Shooting from the ground level up for 3 hours invariably leads to neck and back pain.
    That's awesome, congrats on being THE photographer for the event.

I recently shot a UFC event and while I was envious of those shooting from the apron and behind the fence, I was more envious of the THE official photographer as he got to shoot over the fence!

Where was I?? Shooting from the media platform! Boo!

UFC 136 - Houston, TX - 10.08.11 - 5D_6315A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Also, just curious, are you using some kind of noise reduction software for your shots? What are you using?

JMK

Thanks Eric.

The official UFC photographer is Josh Hedges. He easily has the best seat in the house. However, I prefer the look of MMA shots from the floor up rather than from above:

I understand why they have him shooting over the top though- the photographers that shoot at the UFC have to shoot from outside of a catwalk platform, and shooting from outside of the cage is much more difficult than shooting over it.

I actually started off with MMA, started shooting boxing a few months after that, and started shooting kickboxing when I discovered they had local events here. I almost exclusively shoot kickboxing now because it's the only market I can make money in. The boom in popularity of "ultimate fighting" has these events crawling with "photographers" that are so eager to shoot they give their work away just to be a part of the show. I can't compete with free, so there's no reason to go there.

Equipment- I'm shooting with a 7D. Noise reduction is done with Noise Ninja, which I use sparingly as to not interfere with detail.

Hello this picture comes from a Kickboxing summer event (Rome, Italy) This sport is becoming very popular here and I'm very happy about that...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kickboxing-20110611-0019.jpg  
    My sport photography website: http://www.scattisportivi.com

Thread Information