Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: First Track...

First Track...

My first track meet of the season was not my most shining hour. Hope things get a little better as the season goes on. But just so you know that we all have off days here are a few from tonights meet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Track...-dsc_1348-3-640.jpg   First Track...-dsc_1373-2-4x6.jpg   First Track...-dsc_1381-2-640.jpg   First Track...-dsc_1406-2-640.jpg   First Track...-dsc_7225-2-640.jpg  

Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: First Track...

Yeah, we all have those days Larry, but these are pretty descent for a bad day

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well I have to admit these were the better ones from today. It was a frustrating day a lot of seniors were gone on there senior trip and couldn't participate. So the many of the best performers were gone. There were 6 teams at the meet and 5 out of the six were dressed in the same shade of blue. Now I like blue but it sure takes away form the impact of your images when every one looks the same and it's very difficult to track certain runners from a distance when they are all in the same color.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Yikes, that would bite having 5 of six teams in blue! I know the feeling there as I shoot the section track and cross country meets and they inevitably place the two teams next to each other that have the same colors, or put other teams between the county teams I am shooting....gotta be really quick picking the kids out! Occasionally I get the wrong ones, but with two or three teams with the same color(s) AND design it gets crazy. I guess it keeps us on our toes....and awake.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

To me, these are great pictures. I just started taking pictures this track season and I would love to get a shot of our high jumper like yours!! I know one of my problems is inexperience but if you could give me any tips I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I don't know about OT but I always watch the high jumpers practice that I want to shoot so I get an idea of where to stand to get the best possible shots. There are times though there isn't time for that so you just have to hope your in the right place at the right time.
    I normally prefocus on the bar before they jump so I don't have to worry about focusing as they are jumping.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

That's about right JS. I will prefocus on the bar at about where I think the jumper will go over and I shoot in manual. At that point it is just about getting the timing right. This particular day I was changing back and forth between the left and right side of the pit because I had a couple of different jumpers that were going from opposite sides and I was trying to get shots of each as they battled for first.

Nikon Samurai #13

You know OT, I wish would make them all jump from one side...and while were at it, they could ask us photographers which side then we could say that this side is better for the light or the background......yeah yeah, I know I am dreaming, can't blame me for trying

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I like that idea JS. Maybe we could get some one to introduce it at the next rules committe meeting. I know a couple of KHSAA members.

Nikon Samurai #13

You got lovely shots here. I'm only a Dad with a camera. But this year was
    my first for track. Seems the events are put in places most can't get too.
    Was able at the last track meet get to go in places haven't been able to before

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I like that idea JS. Maybe we could get some one to introduce it at the next rules committe meeting. I know a couple of KHSAA members.
    Yeah, I know most of the IHSAA board....but the coaches vote and they'ed defeat it in a heartbeat......Oh well.
    I also think schools should let the photogs give them ideas on new gym construction... espeially colors and lighting.....but....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by rovowen
    You got lovely shots here. I'm only a Dad with a camera. But this year was my first for track. Seems the events are put in places most can't get too.
    Was able at the last track meet get to go in places haven't been able to before
    I know what you mean I was a Dad with a camera for several years. My kids are now producing children of their own so I hope some day I will be a grandad with a camera at these sporting events. You did a nice job with this one, post some more and give use a chance to see what you can do. I'm sure if you feel you would like some direction there are people here that will give you some ideas.

Nikon Samurai #13

i have to admit, when i saw "first tracks" i thought ALLRIGHT! skiing!

Thread Information