• 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
    jboydbarker
    Image Stabilization for Action Shots
    Does Image Stabilization (IS) have any practical applications for action/sports shots. I understand that IS has nothing to do with freezing action, which comes from selection of shutter speed, however it appears to me that two elements are at play in action shots - the action of the subject(s) and the stability of the camera (which I normally take care of with a tripod/monopod). Would IS, in its ability to enhance the latter, have any visible affect on the sharpness of action shots?

Thanks, this is my first post and I'm considering lenses for actions shots, including fast primes without IS.
  • 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Image Stabilization for Action Shots
    IS wouldn't stop motion blur but really helps shooting in low light. If your subject is stationary, yes. Most HS football fields are poorly lit and you have to have expensive glass to deal with it. IS only compensates for camera movement and not subject movement. Certainly even at a ballgame at times you are shooting at a stationary subject so I would go for it.
  • 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
    JSPhoto
    Yes IS will help, if you use it right and using a tripod or monopod with any Version 2 IS Canon lenses will be waste of $$. If you read the info & manuals on the new version IS lenses it tells you that with a tripod the IS is disabled even if you turn it on. And in Mode 2 it's completly useless with a monopod.
    I am a firm believer though of not using monopods at sports events, even with a 400mm and especially at high school or lower levels. And a tripod should never be be used period for any sports events. I saw one woman trip three photographers and a couple coaches one night using a tripod this past football season...they are worthless and dangerous for shooting sports!
    The best way to get get sharp shots with any lens id to learn prpoer technique holding the camera and panning properly, thats when the IS will really help you.

JS
  • 12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
    livin4lax09
    IS certainly helps for sports, especially low light, and ESPECIALLY panning.

and you'd be crazy to handhold a 400 2.8, unless you want to have back problems within a year of getting it.
  • 12-11-2007, 11:14 PM
    JSPhoto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    IS certainly helps for sports, especially low light, and ESPECIALLY panning.

and you'd be crazy to handhold a 400 2.8, unless you want to have back problems within a year of getting it.

You won't have back problems if you do it right...again. it's technique. I know one sports/news photog who's done it since the first 400 f2,8 came out, he's just turned 67 and still shoots freehand with a 400 f2.8, crazy is using a monopod or tripod near kids in action sports... and I hope those who do have really good insurance policies....

JS
  • 12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
    SunnySideUp
    I have to agree with JS. Leave the monopod and tripod at home unless you are trying to get the same shot you and every other photographer got last time.
    But I will have to disagree that it doesn't have its place. There are certain slow shutterspeed shots that they may be good at or some other creative shots. But these need to be planned ahead of time and really should only account less than 5% of your shots at a sporting event.
    Shane
  • 12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
    Mule
    I found the IS on the Nikon (called VR) to be helpful in shooting at 200 and above.
  • 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
    JSPhoto
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
    But I will have to disagree that it doesn't have its place. There are certain slow shutterspeed shots that they may be good at or some other creative shots. But these need to be planned ahead of time and really should only account less than 5% of your shots at a sporting event.
    Shane

Even with slow shutter speeds you should be able to shoot freehand with the proper technique, even slow shutter speed panning down to 1/60 is possible without a monopod in low light racing photos, or even football or basketball, it just takes lots of practice to do it and most shooters do not take the time to practice proper techniques to do such shots.

I just attached a shot at 1/60 no flash and yes, handheld :)
    JS