Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos

You might have noticed I've been MIA for about a week. That's because I'm on my annual pilgrimage to the Bay Area for the Sea Otter Classic bike festival. I shot a couple of races with the Canon EOS-1D X and man do I love it. After this event I am absolutely convinced it has the best continuous auto focus system on the planet. I feel like I'd have to make an effort to get and out-of-focus photo with it.

I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos-_mg_9936.jpg

I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos-_y4q0093.jpg

I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos-_y4q0189.jpg

I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos-_y4q9927.jpg

Last year, I shot this same race with the Nikon D4 and also loved it. But after shooting it again with the 1D X, I am convinced the 1D X AF is better. The lens is one variable I am not sure about, though. I was using the Nikkor 28-300mm VR with the D4, which was great, but may not be the very best focusing lens. With the Canon, I was using my trusty old 70-200mm f/2.8, one of the best lenses ever, in my opinion. It would be nice to try the D4 again with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, which I know is also top, top shelf glass.

Regardless, I'm in love. Anyone wanna buy a kidney?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos

Those shots sure look nice! So crisp. I like the framing of the riders in the first couple especially. But this love affair could get expensive!

These images look great John. Very crisp, what f stop to you generally use with good daylight like this? As you know I usually stick with f2.8 to insure backgrounds that don't distract, but have been thinking of venturing up to 3.5 of even 5.6.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

is the last guy racing ? or giving an acrobatics show both ?

fantastic shots

Sorry I have been slow to reply. I finally got home on Friday and then didn't bother to look at the computer for a few days

Armando - the last photo was taken during practice. It's what I call the unofficial jump contest because all the riders are putting on a show for their fans and the photographers. So no - he wasn't racing.

Larry - I usually shoot at about f/5.6 for this kind of thing. I don't actually need to shoot wide open to drop out the background. Plus, they're moving fast enough that it's nice to have a little depth-of-field padding.

By the way, I realized after I posted that I took the first photo, pre-focused, with my EOS 7D. So disregard it. It's a nice enough photo but it doesn't represent the full excellence of the 1D X
    Photo-John

PJ, great set. While I like all the shots I think the second shot is my favorite. It looks like this guy is really haulin'. As for the 1d lucky lucky you. BTW if you find a good black market body parts dealer to buy your kidney let me know I may be on that operating table right after you.

John do you remember what preset case # you used in AF menu and what AF Area Selection Mode? I mean especially when you use the telephoto lens I just update the 5DMK3 firmware I want to try the 2X extender with my 70-200 this weekend at Dana Point criterium they claim improved cross type focus at F8

Quote Originally Posted by Ti.P View Post
    John do you remember what preset case # you used in AF menu and what AF Area Selection Mode? I mean especially when you use the telephoto lens I just update the 5DMK3 firmware I want to try the 2X extender with my 70-200 this weekend at Dana Point criterium they claim improved cross type focus at F8
    I'll check and let you know, Ti.
    Photo-John

Thread Information