• 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM
    Photo-John
    4 Attachment(s)
    I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos
    You might have noticed I've been MIA for about a week. That's because I'm on my annual pilgrimage to the Bay Area for the Sea Otter Classic bike festival. I shot a couple of races with the Canon EOS-1D X and man do I love it. After this event I am absolutely convinced it has the best continuous auto focus system on the planet. I feel like I'd have to make an effort to get and out-of-focus photo with it.

Attachment 91495

Attachment 91496

Attachment 91497

Attachment 91498

Last year, I shot this same race with the Nikon D4 and also loved it. But after shooting it again with the 1D X, I am convinced the 1D X AF is better. The lens is one variable I am not sure about, though. I was using the Nikkor 28-300mm VR with the D4, which was great, but may not be the very best focusing lens. With the Canon, I was using my trusty old 70-200mm f/2.8, one of the best lenses ever, in my opinion. It would be nice to try the D4 again with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, which I know is also top, top shelf glass.

Regardless, I'm in love. Anyone wanna buy a kidney?
  • 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM
    mattb
    Re: I Think I'm In Love - Mountain Bike Photos
    Those shots sure look nice! So crisp. I like the framing of the riders in the first couple especially. But this love affair could get expensive!
  • 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
    Old Timer
    These images look great John. Very crisp, what f stop to you generally use with good daylight like this? As you know I usually stick with f2.8 to insure backgrounds that don't distract, but have been thinking of venturing up to 3.5 of even 5.6.
  • 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
    armando_m
    is the last guy racing ? or giving an acrobatics show :) both ?

fantastic shots
  • 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
    Photo-John
    Sorry I have been slow to reply. I finally got home on Friday and then didn't bother to look at the computer for a few days :)

Armando - the last photo was taken during practice. It's what I call the unofficial jump contest because all the riders are putting on a show for their fans and the photographers. So no - he wasn't racing.

Larry - I usually shoot at about f/5.6 for this kind of thing. I don't actually need to shoot wide open to drop out the background. Plus, they're moving fast enough that it's nice to have a little depth-of-field padding.

By the way, I realized after I posted that I took the first photo, pre-focused, with my EOS 7D. So disregard it. It's a nice enough photo but it doesn't represent the full excellence of the 1D X :)
  • 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
    agaduc996
    PJ, great set. While I like all the shots I think the second shot is my favorite. It looks like this guy is really haulin'. As for the 1d lucky lucky you. BTW if you find a good black market body parts dealer to buy your kidney let me know I may be on that operating table right after you.
  • 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM
    Ti.P
    John do you remember what preset case # you used in AF menu and what AF Area Selection Mode? I mean especially when you use the telephoto lens I just update the 5DMK3 firmware I want to try the 2X extender with my 70-200 this weekend at Dana Point criterium they claim improved cross type focus at F8
  • 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti.P View Post
    John do you remember what preset case # you used in AF menu and what AF Area Selection Mode? I mean especially when you use the telephoto lens I just update the 5DMK3 firmware I want to try the 2X extender with my 70-200 this weekend at Dana Point criterium they claim improved cross type focus at F8

I'll check and let you know, Ti.