Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Mavericks

Mavericks

Went out to Mavericks to shoot the surfing contest. It was suppose to be the biggest swell in many years. Apparently it peaked earlier than expected, so the waves were disappointing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavericks-sha_5748.jpg   Mavericks-sha_5852.jpg   Mavericks-sha_6203.jpg   Mavericks-sha_6247.jpg   Mavericks-sha_6879.jpg  

Mavericks-sha_6178.jpg  
    Shal

Re: Mavericks

Wow, that's something I'd like to see one day. I've been near there but there wasn't any surf happening at the time.
    Your photos look great and although they might be small for Mavericks they are still pretty impressive to me! I take it you were in a boat? I like the photos, especially the one with the rainbow in the spray. Nice.

nice group . Read about that place a million times growing up in the surf mags
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Quote Originally Posted by jacobovs View Post
    Went out to Mavericks to shoot the surfing contest. It was suppose to be the biggest swell in many years. Apparently it peaked earlier than expected, so the waves were disappointing.
    Beautiful photos, Shai! Super psyched to see some Mavericks photos on this forum

I always wanted to shoot Mavericks and even had the opportunity once but didn't take it when it was offered. Those waves really scare me. And even though the wave may not have been that big this year, it's still a monster.

Can you give us some tech info? What camera and lens were you using and what were your exposure settings? Obviously you were shooting from the water. Were you on a boat or a jetski?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Beautiful photos, Shai! Super psyched to see some Mavericks photos on this forum

I always wanted to shoot Mavericks and even had the opportunity once but didn't take it when it was offered. Those waves really scare me. And even though the wave may not have been that big this year, it's still a monster.

Can you give us some tech info? What camera and lens were you using and what were your exposure settings? Obviously you were shooting from the water. Were you on a boat or a jetski?
    Thanks.

I was on a boat. I was shooting with the D4 and the 400mm f2.8. I brought the 300mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8 but really never used them. I tried the 300mm f2.8 for a while but went back to the 400mm relatively quick. Exposure settings were varied depending on the lighting conditions. I shot wide open and tried to keep the shutter speed above 2000. I know its overkill but the boat was rocking and the action was fast when it happend. I didn't want to kick myself later for shooting at too slow a SS.
    Shal

You shot the 400mm from a rocking boat ! wow ! that is skill !!!

I tried 200mm from a boat once and gave up, I couldn't get what I wanted in the frame

Thread Information