Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    drg

Who is going to the Indy 500?

I am planning on being on the roof in turn one again this year.

If all else fails or the weather is cold (as opposed to last years sauna) I'll tuck safely into the Grandstands underneath.

Anyone else have plans for the 91st Edition of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: Who is going to the Indy 500?

Wow you are lucky to be able to go to that race. ive been watching it on tv for the last 25yrs. What size lenses are you going to be using there ?

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    I am planning on being on the roof in turn one again this year.

If all else fails or the weather is cold (as opposed to last years sauna) I'll tuck safely into the Grandstands underneath.

Anyone else have plans for the 91st Edition of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing?

drg

Quote Originally Posted by melscamera
    Wow you are lucky to be able to go to that race. ive been watching it on tv for the last 25yrs. What size lenses are you going to be using there ?
    There's certainly a more than a little bit of luck, I will admit.

Canon '70-200mm f/2.8L IS' and either EF 1.4 or 1.8 50mm are probably what I'll schlepp. Oh, and I'll carry the EF 1.4 II extender(Teleconverter). Might get radical and even take some sort of super wide for a change . . .
    CDPrice 'drg'

DRG,
    You were on the turn 1 roof? Thats a long walk with a 600mm Do you know Mike? He used to shoot there until he had a heartattack up there. Who are you shooting for? Not sure yet if I'll be there but the plan is to be there, just waiting on the credential response....but the new sports editor sent them in late He did get an email requesting additional info on me but thats it....odd since they do know me there.
    So are you only going race day or when? If the creds go through I'll probably be there every day they run....as usual
    BTW, are you shooting the 400? I know I'll be at that as I am the only photog for the paper at that one as the staff photog won't go at all.
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

drg

JS,

I'm going to PM you as well. I believe I know who you mean, Mike, but no I don't know him.

I've always shot for sponsors and teams except one time I strung for AP many years ago during Time Trials. This year (and last) I'm doing the private syndication thing so there's a lot of grip and grins. The roof deal is a plus for me. I generally refuse to carry one of those BIG 2.8 up there, though its better now that there are guardrails and the 'cage'. I knew of one guy who wore golf cleats for years so he wouldn't slip too fast if it started to rain.

Here's a few from from last year. I got real busy and didn't get very many posted. I also just posted one in the Racin' Wrecks post!

Don't know about the 400 . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is going to the Indy 500?-indy5004pr-4.jpg   Who is going to the Indy 500?-indy5004pr-1.jpg   Who is going to the Indy 500?-indy5004pr-8.jpg   Who is going to the Indy 500?-indy5004pra-2.jpg  
    CDPrice 'drg'

Yup, thats a long walk alright....and a long drop. I'd like to shoot from outside the turns or maybe halfway between the turns in the short chutes for a day or two, the problem i s getting the track to come off those creds and vests! You can get some really good action there, especially between 1 and 2 or from the roof. I see one guy shooting from the turn 2 roof but it's low enough he has fence in his shots. Inside 2 there are no holes to shoot from as they come off the turn so you have shoot through the fence or a spot in the gate which is real pain.

I kind of prefer turn 3 now...I hope they never fence that!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well I just got the word, I will be at this years Indy 500. I just heard from the sports editor after he got tonights pics from the double header. So I'll be at the track every day they are running Let me know when your around DRG and we'll meet up.:thumbsup:

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information